[GPSCC-chat] Fw: [350SiliconValley] Keystone & Fracking in California & September Newsletter

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Fri Sep 6 09:06:56 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Lisa Altieri <laltieri at earthlink.net>
To: 350siliconvalley at googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 9:00 AM
Subject: [350SiliconValley] Keystone & Fracking in California & September Newsletter

Hi all,

    Join us and hear important
updates on Keystone and Fracking in California at our quarterly meeting this
Sunday!  Also learn about our big upcoming action on 9/21 and meet others
concerned about climate change.  We are really making progress on Keystone,
come hear how you can help make sure this dangerous project does not get off the
ground!  Here’s all the info:

Where: Murphy Park , 190 California Street, Sunnyvale (walking distance from
Caltrain)
When: 3-6pm, Sunday
9/8/13
What:Potluck picnic and 350
Silicon Valley Quarterly meeting.  Bring an entree or side dish to
share!
RSVP:http://www.350siliconvalley.org/350sv_quarterly_potluck_picnic_sep2013   Please RSVP so we can plan ahead!

September Newsletter

Take Action!

    We have a few big actions coming up – meetings
with local Congressional Representatives next week and a National Day of Action
on 9/21 called Draw the Line!  We hope you will join us on both
efforts!

Congressional Meetings:  Please help with
this event by signing on to the letter for your Congressional Rep and make your
voice heard on the urgent need for climate policy!  The links to the
letters are below under the Carbon Price and Subsidies Team update.

DRAW THE LINE  9/21:  This will be a
National Day of Action on Keystone and climate change.  We are in the
planning stages right now and are working on an event where we will show the
water line here locally in 50-70 years.  There are many places in the south
bay that will be significantly under water with just a few feet of sea level
rise.  This will be a very visual event and a real chance to bring serious
attention to Keystone and the urgent need for climate policy.  We hope you
will join us and help make a HUGE impact!  Look for more information
soon!

Team Updates:

Our
teams have been busy!  Below are brief updates on our current projects and
actions.  Please join us at an upcoming team meeting!  You will find
all our team meetings on our website http://www.350siliconvalley.org/.

Divestment
The divestment movement is gaining momentum!
Locally, the Santa Clara Water Board voted unanimously to divest from fossil
fuels.  The national body of the UCC (United Church of Christ) has passed a
divestment resolution and other faith communities are advancing their own
divestment resolutions.  Bay area groups are working on divestment
campaigns for CalPERS and STRS.  350 SV is supporting Stanford and Santa
Clara University students as they campaign for divestment of their university's
funds.  We have also created a SignOn.org petition to Vanguard to offer a
fossil free portfolio alternative.  This petition will soon be available on
the 350 Silicon Valley website http://www.350siliconvalley.org/.

Carbon
Price and Subsidies
The team
is collaborating with the No Tar Sands group, as well as Citizen’s Climate Lobby
(CCL) and Organizing for America (OFA) to meet with staffers of representative
Eshoo, Honda and Lofgren representatives in September to underline the
importance of taking action on climate change before the start of the new
congressional session.  A concrete near-term ask is that our
representatives join the Safe Climate Caucus, ensuring that the topic of Climate
Change is no longer ignored in congress. My ask of all of you is to go on line,
read the letter that we will be transmitting, sign it, and ask your family or
friends in the district to also sign it.  Please only sign the letter for
your own representative.  These letters can be found at:

District
17 – Representative Mike Honda  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dp9gyKyK5fspTIvEe0_fYxlsej0LLrRaVF6Y9UGF4o0/edit?usp=sharing
District
18 – Representative Anna Eshoo
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13nwZa_41xWvj8z63_jjgl34m-m5rbqSlH8rxWOAn-2M/edit?usp=sharing
District
19 – Representative Zoe Lofgren  https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Vzjik9my2ZV4Im_Eqlr1JATKHtrHvvKcq2-716Lk38/edit?usp=sharing

No Tar Sands / Keystone
XL
We had a huge win on Keystone XL
with the announcement by the State Department of an internal review into an
alleged conflict of interest by the contractor which did the draft environmental
impact study. This could delay the final report until January 2014, although
this is not certain, it could still come out anytime. We need to remain vigilant
and ready... After the next big anti-KXL event on 9/21, the 350SV NTS team will
work to support CREDO's resistance movement should the recommendation come out
in favor of KXL. 75,000 people have pledged to resist, the resistance to KXL is
growing around the country, we can stop it, and this will be a major milestone
in the climate movement in the US, a turning point in the struggle of climate
activists against Big Oil!

Outreach Team
We are launching our Outreach efforts and hosting
local Meet Ups and tabling and farmer’s markets and other local events.  We
are also finalizing our presentation for local groups and gearing up to raise
awareness on climate and and the urgent need for action!  Please let us
know if you can host a Meet Up in your area or if you can help with
tabling!  Email Lisa laltieri at earthlink.net to join
in.  Or, join us at our next meeting on Tuesday, 9/17 in Palo Alto for more
information and to RSVP go to http://www.350siliconvalley.org/outreach_september_team_meeting.
Join us and help us grow our local climate movement!

Thank you for all your
efforts making our local climate actions a success!  We hope to see you at an upcoming action or event
soon!

350 Silicon Valley
Team