[GPSCC-chat] Severe Water Restrictions in the future?

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sun Sep 29 16:31:48 PDT 2013

I missed seeing this Mercury News story by Paul Rogers.  Rogers is one
of the most knowledgeable environmental reporters in California.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_23881247/san-luis-reservoir-17-percent-full-causing-silicon?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

The headline is:  San Luis Reservoir 17 percent full, causing Silicon
Valley water problems.

I went back to the state water department web site and found that there
were no current data on reservoir status available.
All I get is the circulating arrow saying that they are waiting for a
reply from the state government.   Most of the data can be reached from
this page: http://www.water.ca.gov/nav/nav.cfm?loc=t&id=106

According to Rogers, this is connected directly to the fact that Jan -
June of 2013 was the driest on record.  And, while we had a recent
unusual rain, there is a probability that the coming winter will not
suffice to restore our reservoirs.

Then, consider that the government is planning on building some very
expensive tunnels (>$20 Billion) in order to deliver not one more drop
of water than they currently do.  What could possibly pay for such a
venture?  My guess it is the way to guarantee that there is water
available for fracking the Monterey Shale.
--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/