[GPSCC-chat] Heartbleed is real. Do something real.

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.us
Sat Apr 12 11:10:15 PDT 2014

 >Alarmists said we should change all our passwords.  I think that's
overkill.

I disagree.
Bruce Schneier is no "alarmist."  He's the author of the standard
textbook Applied Cryptography, and a member of the Electronic Frontier
Foundation's advisory board.  And he's the best tech writer to general
audiences since Carl Sagan.  If you're having trouble with rational risk
assessment (a widespread problem among activists), you should read his
book /Beyond Fear/ <https://www.schneier.com/book-beyondfear.html>.

This is the worst Internet security problem due to a single programming
error that I can remember, ever, because of the circumstances of its
deployment and the nature of the exploit.
When a vulnerability like this one is discovered, you /must/ assume the
bad guys have had the use of it since it was deployed.
It allows not just stealing your password, but stealing the secrets that
would make it impossible for your browser to detect an impostor HTTPS site.
And in the standard deployment, exploiting the bug leaves no trace.
In this case, the window was wide open for roughly two years. Your
passwords have /probably/ been stolen from affected sites.
Whether you have been managing them well is irrelevant.  Take all the
needless risks you like, but don't lead others to take risks by denying
them.

Throwaway passwords used only for commenting on newspaper articles (etc)
need not be replaced, unless they share recovery secrets with more
sensitive accounts.  But /anything/ useful for identity theft poses a risk.
For example, the attacker might use your account at some ancestry site
to discover some non-secret "secret" (e.g., street you lived on as a
child, mother's maiden name) to accomplish a password reset on your bank
site.  (Next time, /lie/ about your mother's maiden name, and keep the
lie someplace safe.)  Identity thieves work on thousands of identities
at a time, filling in a jigsaw puzzle on each potential victim.  They
use efficient, automated, mass production techniques.  They rattle
/every/ doorknob.  You never know which pieces they already have or
still need.

I've been following my employer's well organized response to this
problem.  One takeaway is our local experts are not at all concerned
about Secure Shell V2.  A long obsolete implementation used SSL, but the
one we've been using doesn't.  I had been mistaken about that.  They're
also pretty confident about password managers that do client side
encryption.  E.g., LastPass <https://lastpass.com/> and Kwallet
<http://userbase.kde.org/KDE_Wallet_Manager>. These tools make it
practical to maintain distinct, strong passwords for each web site and
hosted application, so you can stop using "log in with Facebook" type
shortcuts.  Of course, LastPass on an unmaintained Windows XP host is
only as secure as that host.  If it's full of memory-scraping malware,
you've got a local version of Heartbleed.

Rational risk assessment means ignoring irrelevant factors.  Mass
production identity thieves don't care about your politics.
(Spearfishers do.  They use everything they know about you to compile a
word list for guessing password and recovery secrets.) They don't care
how paranoid you are about mass surveillance.

Forward this message as you see fit.
-/Cameron/