[GPSCC-chat] Heartbleed is real. Do something real.

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Apr 12 18:15:12 PDT 2014

John:

       Possibly the largest network of Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
in the world may be those run by credit unions.  Many if not all credit
unions world wide honor each other's debit cards. Provident Credit Union
(providentcu.org) advertises, "Over 28,000 CO-OP Network ATMs worldwide
(including over 5,500 ATMs in 7-Eleven stores around the country).
Provident deposits accepted at many of these locations. Over 22,000
MoneyPass ATMs nationwide (including at US Bank, Dunkin' Donuts,
Walgreens, and more).  Over 4,900 Alliance One ATMs in 43 states
nationwide.  Provident members can use any Bank of the West ATM without
incurring a surcharge. Bank of the West has over 650 branches in 19
states (including many in San Francisco Bay Area). Provident deposits
accepted at many of these locations."   I just checked to see what
Provident Credit Union offered for St. Francis, KS, where I attended
High School.  They said they had no branches near there. The nearest ATM
was 25 miles away, and they listed 3 others within 40 miles.  I checked
Denver 200 miles from St. Francis:  I got a list of over 50 branches I
could enter and many more ATMs.

       I rarely enter a Provident CU office;  the closest is 3-4 miles
away.  I usually get cash back when I use my debit card with major
retailers.  If I need to make a deposit or I need more cash, I use the
ATM at a credit union closer that's less than one mile from where we
live.  If I recall correctly, I had a problem once making a deposit at
this other credit union.  A few months later, the problem was resolved.

        Spencer

On 4/12/2014 5:23 PM, John Thielking wrote:

> I attended a retired union worker's BBQ today where reps from various
> legislators' offices were available to answer questions. I mentioned
> the Heartbleed bug a couple of times in my comments (once before and
> once after the legislators' assistants and some legislators themselves
> showed up late). I mentioned that the Heartbleed bug affects the
> security of credit card numbers and PINS as well as the passwords to
> your favorite web sites. I mentioned that to find out if your favorite
> web site has been patched to fix the Heartbleed bug, you can simply
> Google for "Heartbleed" and find an article that has a link to one of
> the sites that allows you to test the web sites that you use to see if
> they have fixed the bug. I also urged the legislators to come up with
> rules requiring banks to take various additional security measures and
> to allow online account feature choices that would tend to thwart any
> similar future bug. Such security features and selections include: Any
> two factor security for transferring funds online should include an
> offline component such as mailing the customer a new debit card upon
> their request with new card numbers and a new security code on the
> back. The new security code should only need to be used if the
> customer transfers money online or uses the online bill pay features,
> so that if the customer does not use those features, the new security
> code would not be entered into the user interface of the bank's web
> site by the customer. Another user selection would include the ability
> to let the customer select (through a secure method) to either disable
> the online money transfer features such as bank account money
> transfers and online bill pay at some point after the creation of the
> account or to sign up for a secure online account at the start that
> has those online features permanently disabled. The "secure method"
> for changing (enabling or disabling) these features could include, in
> the case of Direct Express where there are not always Comerica bank
> branches available in every town, a network of banks such as Chase and
> Wells Fargo, who do tend to have branches in more places, who could
> securely transfer such requests to Comerica upon the customer visiting
> the local branch and presenting a photo ID. It is possible to
> implement part of these features without making any changes to
> existing procedures by simply using an online bank account that
> requires you to enter your current 3 or 4 digit security code on the
> back of your debit card before making any online money transfers or
> before using online bill pay features. Then if you want to be secure
> in this way, order a new debit or credit card with all new numbers and
> simply never use those online money transfer features so that you
> never enter the new security code into your bank's web site user
> interface. If you really want to be secure, you can tell your bank to
> [...]

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126