[GPSCC-chat] Green Party minutes

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Aug 28 22:24:47 PDT 2014

*** Please send corrections and additions to this list.

#############

Rob Means:  Last time, ran against the incumbent mayor.  Odds of winning
in the previous time, he got 4888 votes.  This time, he's running in a
field of 8 for 2 seats.  "meansfordemocracy.org"

Platform:  Door hanger.  Issues:  (1) A K-6 school.  (2) a crossing near
the BART station.  (3) home / business upgrades to save water and
energy.  These 3 address global warming, which Rob says is the primary
issue

Q:  Policy regarding endorsing a non-Green candidate?

Warner:  There is none.

Q:  Why did Rob leave the Greens?

Rob:  Was Democratic.  Then registered for ~10 years, then reregistered
Democratic.

*** We officially endorsed Rob Means.

GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY Draft Agenda for Monthly General
Meeting August 28, 2014 San  Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 South 7th
Street, San Jose, CA  (Between Santa Clara and San Fernando  Streets)

7:00 pm – Speaker:  None announced as of August 22, 2014  (date of this
agenda draft)

7:30 pm – Begin meeting --
Select Facilitator:  Warner.

Note taker:  Spencer

Time keeper:  Tian.

Vibes watcher(s):  Sandy

Select Agenda Preparer for next meeting:  Caroline.

Affirm or modify draft agenda (5 Minutes) Introductions and
Announcements (10 Minutes)

Warner:  may not be at the next meeting, because it will be the evening
following Rosh Hashona and may not make it.  If someone can call him at
3 or 4 PM before the meeting, ...

Rob Means:  Candidate for Milpitas City Council.  This Saturday at his
home, there will be a Green Home Tour.  11 AM - 3 PM.

Tian from Mt. View, more of a bicycle activist these days.

Caroline:  Official Green at 73 other mtgs.

Sandy:  San Jose is considering a Housing Impact Fee to require
developers of market housing to pay a fee to support

Spencer:  Next Money Out Voters In coalition meeting Saturday, Sept. 6,
3 - 5 PM location TBD.  Pushing electoral.  Go to CAClean.org to sign
their petition AGAIN final push for SB52 for a v

Drew:  Next Tuesday, the DeAnza Green Party will have a party here at
the San Jose Peace & Justice Center.  7 PM. Green Party Party.  (not a
meeting)

Blair:

Treasurer’s Report – Jim Doyle (5 minutes) Report  on status of obtain
updated registered voters data and discuss plans for use:  After making
our annual donation of $150 to the San Jose Peace Center
we have $922.21 in our account. $100 approved for the Campaign for a
Healthy Coalition.

County Council (15 minutes) Status Report regarding GPCA reappointment
of County Council –  Spencer  (1 minute):  What we have is good enough,
we think, for the moment.

updated registered voters info.  Spencer has.

What do we do with it?

Warner suggests we invite all to propose uses over the next year.

** Rob has a copy of this list.  Roughly 10% of those have email
addresses.  Rob suggests we use the email addresses in that list.

Caroline: We should call or email the Greens and ask for donations.
Rob:  Phone is better than emails.

*** SG to create lists of Santa Clara Greens with phone numbers (for
Caroline by Saturday) and emails (later, possibly with help from Rob) --
sorted by zip code, then street (?)

Sandy:  If we use this list intelligently, we should be able to increase
our number of Green party activists.

Drew:  There are Green who are doing all kinds of things;  we are just
not in touch with them.  We can be more effective by organizing local
organizations.

*** greenshadowcabinet.us = most important thing the US Greens are
doing.  We need to get the word out on that more.

sg:  Phone calls should be to ask why they joined the Green party and
what they would like the Greens to be doing --

Warner:  Whether we ask people by email or phone, we need a clear
message explaining where we got the contact info, why we are contacting
them, ... .

Warner and Drew (15  minutes)

Should we disengage from the State Party web site?  e.g., should we
disengage from "cagreen.org"?  [SG:  cagreens.org is an identity, and
I'm not ready to separate from that identity.]

Proposal:  The GPSCC requests that the GPCA  Coordinating Committee and
its Internet   Technology Committee remove,  delete and terminate a
second duplicative and out-of-date GPSCC web page that  was previously
established by the GPCA CC’s former “executive manager” Marnie  Glickman
without prior consultation with the GPSCC County  Council -- and relink
back to our real web site.

	  *** Approved.  Tian will do it.

Proposal:  The GPSCC requests that the GPCA  Coordinating Committee and
its Internet Technology Committee remove, delete and  terminate a GPSCC
Facebook page or pages that was previously established by the  GPCA CC’s
former “executive manager” Marnie Glickman without prior consultation
with the GPSCC County Council. (20 Minutes)

** There are 2 GPSCC Facebook pages, one that Drew created and one that
Marnie created.

** ALTERNATIVE PROPOSAL:  Tian to investigate the two Facebook pages and
develop a proposal for how we can get control of these 2 Facebook pages
and merge the two.

Proposal is withdrawn for the moment;  we will revisit next month.

###

Report on Single Payer Work – Caroline and Sandy (15 Minutes) Report  on
Climate Change Work --

	  *** National meeting in Oakland last weekend.  Sandy spoke at it.
Many groups including the California Nurses Assoc. and the Campaign for
Healthy California.  Other group led by Physicians for National Health
Care organized CAPSA(?) medical students ...

Caroline  – Warner on August 13th Sustainability 3D meeting (15  Minutes)

	  *** Warner is on Ted Smith's email list former Exec. Dir. of Si
Valley Toxics Coalition.  Naglee Park south and east of the state U.
area.  He and others organized a series of lectures and other activities
on Coyote Creek, etc., a clean-up day, ... .  and other work
"sustainability 3D" for district 3 of city of San Jose.  Identify and
mobilize for sustainability issues considered by the San Jose City
Council.

	  *** There will be a meeting Saturday, Sept. 6, Le Boungier, on
Matilda betw. Maude and California, in Svle.  1-3 PM.  350.org Silicon
Valley -- esp. tar sands, trains, pipelines, ... Caroline went to a
meeting Tuesday evening at the home of Lisa Altiery.  She and others
just finished a video about climate change.

	  *** Could someone bring that to the next meeting?  15-20 minutes?
Caroline will try to arrange it.

	  ** Caroline went to the Svle City Council, because they closed the
Armory for the homeless.

	  ** Tian:  The most thoughtful idea from 350.org:  1 gallon of
gasoline = 42 pounds of C02 = worse than pooh.

Discussion of status of tabling supplies – (10 Minutes)  Included:
Whether to purchase Summer 2014 Green  Issues Plans  for Tabling –

	  ** YES:  buy the Green Issues, minimum quantity.  A year ago, we had
adopted a policy to buy the minimum quantity each time it comes out.

Need to identify events coordinators -- (10  minutes)

September  13 9 to 5 Conference (Table fee) December  ??

	  ** YES:  (if the fee is reasonable, e.g. ~ $25)

San Jose Peace  Fair:
WILL BE THE FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER.  First planning meeting:  Sept. 3.

	  Another Junior State in November.

Sandy:  Report on compiling summary of past  year’s events and activities.

Continued  Strategy Discussions – Warner and Sandy (20 Minutes) -–

Warner:  Visioning  exercise:  Write and read statements  for one GPSCC
accomplishment for 2015   (2 Hours Estimated Cumulative Times. Goal:
Adjourn by 9:30 pm) Note:  Much of this agenda is the same as for  July
24, 2014 because there were not enough GPSCC members attending for
business  to be conducted at that  meeting.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer