[GPSCC-chat] Heather Bass, Green elected to the Gilroy Unified School District

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Fri Dec 5 02:57:23 PST 2014

Hi, Mike:

       Heather Bass, elected as a "Trustee" to the Gilroy Unified School
Board, indicated she is Green;  see below.

QUESTION:  I plan to announce this to the local
sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org list.  If you want me to do more, please
let me know.

       I found 2 other candidates, both of which were elected, with
names matching Green entries in the list of registered voters I got
2014-07-29.  Unfortunately, neither is Green.  One has the same name as
another registered Green in that district.  The other is "No Party
Preference", was unaware that the Registrar of Voters said, "Green", and
did NOT want to be portrayed as Green.

       There are over 4,000 registered Greens in Santa Clara County. A
paper listing of the names with phone numbers might contain 50 names per
page.  If so, that would run 80 pages.  That makes a manual search
laborious.  I now have software that should make the search easier the
next time.  Part of the problem is writing code that knows that "Raúl"
and "Raul" are probably the same name, as are "Mike" and "Michael".
Unfortunately, the software automates a reasonable portion of the task
but still requires some programming effort with 251 candidates in the
general election and perhaps double that in the primary.  Fortunately,
enough of the task is now automated, I should be able to do it
relatively easily early enough to be useful for the 2016 primary.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves