[GPSCC-chat] Talking Them Lost Agenda Blues

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 13:13:05 PST 2014

December 12, 2014

Friends:  This email is a follow up to  my  expressions of frustration at
the last monthly GPSCC meeting (and on other  occasions) that there is a lack
of consistency in meeting planning and agenda  publication for our group.

For many years, we had a practice that whoever was preparing  the agenda
for the next monthly meeting would send a request for agenda  items at least a
week before the meeting, would post
a draft agenda at least two days before the meeting, and post  a final
agenda the afternoon of the meeting.  We used to use a regular  format (what I
have been using when I have prepared agendas).  That  included regular agenda
items, identified the presenters, the estimated time,  and whether the item
was a report, a discussion, or something that needed a  decision at the
meeting (or all of these).  If a proposal was to be made,  the text of the
proposal would be included in the draft agenda to give people  advance notice of
what was being discussed.  Obviously, any agenda can be  changed at the
start of the meeting (i.e., approving or changing the agenda is  one of the
first things we do in our "regular agenda").

Having a clear agenda helps people attending the meeting know  beforehand
what they need to do to prepare for the meeting and helps them decide  if
they are interested in attending.  Having a consistent format for an  agenda
helps us remember what is our regular business, what are continuing  items of
concern, and what events we need to be anticipating.

I can go ahead and make  a formal proposal to reinstate  what we did for
years out of simple smartness; but is that really necessary and  do we want to
take time in our meeting dealing with it instead of just taking  individual
and collective responsibility to get back to previous good  habits?

In Struggle!   Warner