[GPSCC-chat] recruiting volunteers for Citizens' Advisory Commission on Elections & Greens County Council

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Feb 19 08:57:53 PST 2014

       What constitutes "promoting a club"?

       It would seem to me that one primary distinction would be whether
the invitation was extended to the general public or only a list of
individuals you more or less already know and have invited by name.  If
the former, it's a public event.  In the latter case, I have two further
questions regarding what you wrote:

             1.  At what point are you showing the movie on your own
behalf vs. on behalf of the Green Party?  Probably if you request
donations, that could create a problem using a home viewing license.  If
you offer literature on the Green Party, invite them to a meeting or ask
them to register Green, it may depend on how much you push the Green
Party:  If the event is primarily social, and mentioning the Green Party
is just one of the things you do and believe in, I wouldn't know.

             2.  Then there is the question of getting caught and
enforcement:  If you invite a Tea Party radical, who would happily see
you imprisoned as a Terrorist, you could be reported and then sued for
copyright infringement.  The mainstream commercial media has
successfully used SLAPP (Strategic lawsuit against public participation)
lawsuits to reduce competition [Wikipedia, "Free Culture (book)",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Culture_(book)].

       Spencer

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer