[GPSCC-chat] February 27, 2014, meeting minutes

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Feb 27 21:17:30 PST 2014

Please send any additions or corrections to this list.  Spencer

       Nancy Neff:  nancy at neffs.net

       Nancy mentioned Disclose, Amend, Reform, Empower (DARE):
Disclose, Amend to overturn Citizens United, Reform

       SB27 requires nonprofits to disclose any amounts over ~$50K.
Passed the house with amendments.  Must go back to the Senate for their
concurrence.

       SB52 requires the top 3 funders must be identified on TV ads, top
2 on radio ads.

       Nancy distributed "activist packets":  www.CAdisclose.org >
Action > Download materials.  This includes a request for funds, a
petition that anyone can download and collect signatures, AND a request
for letters sent to Assembly Speaker Perez and Assembly Speaker Elect
Atkins.

       This Saturday, there will be a Grass Roots Leaders Summit at All
Saints Episcopal Church, 555 Waverly, Palo Alto.  Y'all come.

> 7:30 Meeting starts. Identify Facilitator:  Sandy

> , Note Taker:  Spencer

> , Vibes Watcher:

> , Time Keeper:  John

> , and AgendaPreparer for March:  Warner.

> 7:40 Introductions, announcements, additions or corrections to agenda

> 7:55 Treasurer's report and hat passing
>          PO Box report: Andrea

PO Box held over to next month.

> 8:00 Memorial/appreciation for Lois Duperrault.

       Brainstorming:  $100 for a plaque for the Peace Center.  Or give
to a charity Lois particularly liked.

       Spencer to ask Tian.

> 8:05 Discuss the following proposal I sent to the Discuss list:
> I also believe we should consider a suggestion made by Drew a while
> ago: to grow the Green Party in small local committees as we are
> attempting to do with some small success at De Anza. To have the main
> (tedious) business of the Party handled by the County Council in a
> separate meeting (open to any member). To have our monthly membership
> meeting be an educational or organizing event geared toward new
> members and prospective members, with films, lectures, or actions, and
> broadly publicized.

Warner:  There is value in having an open discussion of our business,
even if some may consider this tedious.  We need to go through meetings
like this just to keeping this party going.  Warner is more interested
in supporting business meetings than presentations.

** >> Spencer to contact Sanda to determine what we need to do to obtain
a legal County Council.

    Maybe have an outreach meeting every other month?  Sandy is willing
to try to initiate the process -- try it at least once.

       Maybe this business meeting start at 7 PM rather than 7:30 PM?

       It helps having people coming from outside for a 7 PM speaker.

Conclusion:

       1.  The regular meeting will remain as is with an extra effort to
get a speaker for the first half hour.

       2.  We will try to organize occasional extra events, starting
with Sandy.

> 8:40 Evaluate our candidate signature campaign and lessons learned.

       PROBLEM:  We have no local candidates.  The planning process for
that needs to be 2 years long.  We have no organization attempt to
identify people to run for local office.

       Sandy:  A new party in New York (well funded) has an active
candidate recruitment effort.

> 8:55 Report on single payer health care work. Sandy

       Health Fair:  April 12 at Andrew Hill High School.  500-600
people.  We may be able to get a Green speaker on the agenda.

> 9:05Report on climate change work.

       An anti-keystone rally --

       A court decided Nebraska could NOT us eminent domain for this.

> 9:15 Whether or not to host a GPCA Plenary – Warner.

       The day after our January meeting, Sanda asked if Santa Clara
County would like to host state wide Plenary in June.

       This would entail finding a location for 50-75 people, lots of
work planning.

       Warner will write Sanda saying the issue was discussed but we are
not able to do it at this time.

> 9:25Diane Ritchie campaign for Judge.

       Pete and a good experience with Diane Ritchie as an attorney.

       There have been no report to the Judicial Council of the State of
California on Ritchie.

       There is a clerk, a bailiff, and a reporter.

        The bailiff is a Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputy.

> 9:25 Adjourn

Signatures for Cindy Sheehan

Youtube for Daniel Sheehan

Labor Council:  Pete saw part of a debate at the Labor council.

Cathy Sutherland is supported by Carpenter, Mayfield, Warner, and others.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer