[GPSCC-chat] Lawrence Lessig and the Mayday SuperPAC

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 18:10:17 PDT 2014

FYI,

On Mayday (5/1/14), I started receiving emails from
Lawrence Lessig about his Mayday SuperPAC (mayday.us).
Two days ago (7/2) a friend received an email that led
him to ask me about the SuperPac.  His email and a new
email from Lessig today led me to do a little research.
So, FYI, ...

1) In case you don't know already, the stated purpose
is "We’re kickstarting a Super PAC big enough to make
it possible to win a Congress committed to fundamental
reform by 2016. We set fundraising goals and then
crowdfund those goals."

2) "For 2014, our goal is to create a $12 million fund.
With that money, we will make fundamental reform the
key issue in five congressional races. And win."

3) The early emails from Lessig about this SuperPac
provided links to rootstrikers.org, demandprogress.org,
mayone.us, and mayday.us.

4) Very short term goals:
    - $1,000,000 in the first 30 days.  (Done)
    - $5,000,000 by today (July 4).
      (I think that includes the original $1,000,000.)

5) On the mayday.us pledge page:
    https://mayday.us/newpledge/
    the "Who to Fund?" options are
    "Whatever Helps", "Democrats Only, "Republicans Only".

6) On the mayday.us FAQ page:
    https://mayday.us/faq/
    there is this item:

=================================
The options of “Whatever Helps,” “Republicans Only,” and “Democrats
Only” do not leave room for an “Independents/3rd Party” option. Why have
you chosen to exclude independent candidates?

In 2014, our objective is to win seats on the basis of reform, and to
show that we can win seats on the basis of reform. We don’t see any
independent candidates on the federal level who could win this election
cycle. Spending our donors money to support independent candidates
doesn’t advance our objective. However, if that changes, we will reconsider.
=================================

7) It seems very likely that they will meet the second
goal ($5,000,000).
    - the deadline is 7/5 at 4:00 AM PDT.
    - at 7/4, 1:55 PM, pledged amount was $4,412,xxx.
    - at 7/4, 2:59 PM, pledged amount was $4,635,xxx.
    - at 7/4, 4:16 PM, pledged amount was $4,751,xxx.
    - at 7/4. 6:09 PM, pledged amount was $4,948,xxx.

8) The 7/2 email to my friend was from The Nation and
    pointed to mayday.us.  The email I got today was from
    boldprogressives.org, and it pointed to
    boldprogressives.org.  NOTE: boldprogressives.org
    is for the Progressive Change Campaign Committee,
    and it appears to me that it has strong ties to
    the Democratic Party, if it is not actually a wing
    of the Democratic Party.

9) On the boldprogressives.org pledge page, it allows
    donations to go to "PCCC Strategic Fund" and/or
    "PCCC - Progressive Change Campaign Committee".
    And the text to the left says:

=================
Donations to the PCCC Strategic Fund will go to help MayDay PAC reach
its $5 million fundraising goal.

If that goal is not met, funds will be used by PCCC to make campaign
finance reform a 2014 election issue. You can also donate directly to
the PCCC's campaign finance reform work.

I'd like to know when Lessig got together with the PCCC,
and who approached whom, and what kind of agreement they have.

I have no idea whether our oligarchy will care or even notice
this Mayday PAC.

Gerry