[GPSCC-chat] Gov. Brown will NOT veto SB 1272

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Jul 16 18:51:57 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

       Gov. Brown declared today he would NOT veto SB 1272.  He claims
to agree that Citizens United was wrongly decided but opposes purely
advisory measures like this;  see "http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_1272.pdf".
The next major challenge will be to ensure the passage of the
initiative:  It would be a massive defeat if the initiative failed in
November.

       Spencer

################

       I just spoke with "Sri" in Gov. Brown's office at the number
below.  I asked his position on SB 1272 (see below).  He said the
Governor has 12 days to decide starting from when he received it, July 9.

       If you haven't already, I encourage you to call (877) 561-5708,
M-F, 9-5, and ask the same question ;-)

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

##################

       SB 1272 would place a measure on the November ballot asking the
electorate to ask the US congress to pass a constitutional amendment to
overturn Citizens United, declaring that corporations are not people and
money is not speech.  This is stalled in Gov. Brown's office having
passed both the California Assembly and Senate.

       You can help get move this item as follows:

             1.  Sign their online petition to Gov. Brown at
"http://CAdisclose.us7.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=218404b9b7d17b8e087467c45&id=9f713842f5&e=4646e74eb4".
(NOTE:  This is new.  Previous petitions went to various committees and
members of the CA Assembly and Senate.  This is to Gov. Brown.)

             2.  Next week some time M-F, 9-5, could you please call his
office at (877)561-5708 and ask him to sign?  If you get a human, ask
what they know about the status of SB 1272, then indicate your support
and then report their response to this list.

       See below part of an email from the CA Clean Money Campaign on this.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves