[GPSCC-chat] Prop 49: Overturn Citizens United & Request for July Meeting Agenda Items

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Jul 19 16:08:52 PDT 2014

* 7 - 7:30 PM:  Prop 49 on this November's ballot will ask the voters
the following:

"Shall the Congress of the United States propose, and the California
Legislature ratify, an amendment or amendments to the United States
Constitution to overturn Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission
(2010) 558 U.S. 310, and other applicable judicial precedents, to allow
the full regulation or limitation of campaign contributions and
spending, to ensure that all citizens, regardless of wealth, may express
their views to one another, and to make clear that the rights protected
by the United States Constitution are the rights of natural persons only?"

       * Patrick McKerchner of the Santa Clara County Move to Amend will
discuss this with us.

*** Regarding this:  It seems likely that big money interests already
have a plan for how to defeat this.  Their plan would likely include
focus groups and sample surveys to determine the best way to spread
fear, uncertainty and doubt about the real impact of this.  Two years
ago, big money defeated GMO labeling, which early on seemed almost
certain to win.

*** REGARDING AGENDA:  Could we have a vote on the agenda to endorse
this effort plus a discussion of anything else we may want to do about
this?  I'm fairly confident they will be asking for volunteers and
financial contributions.  However, those pieces may not be in place by
the time of our meeting.

On 7/15/2014 3:19 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:
> July 15, 2014
> The next GPSCC monthly general meeting will be July 24th
> (4th Thursday).  We have a number of carry over items from the June
> meeting.  I agreed to prepare the draft agenda.  Please submit your
> proposals to the discuss list.  Warner

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.