[GPSCC-chat] Pres. Obama, Keep Open Internet Rally Wed., Los Altos

rainbeaufriend at riseup.net rainbeaufriend at riseup.net
Tue Jul 22 22:18:49 PDT 2014

I'm not too thrilled with MoveOn's centralized power style and dedication
to the unDemocratic Party to the exclusion of any other, but here is one
point of action I agree with them on. Thanks to Cristy for fowarding this
to me.

Greenvolution is NOW!

Drew

9:30 AM MEET AT CORNER OF SOUTH SAN ANTONIO ROAD AND WEST EDITH STREET,
LOS ALTOS.

http://losaltos.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/activists-plan-los-altos-rally-during-president-obamas-visit

This is from an email:

Hi there, I just want to make sure you saw this message. We hope you can
join us tomorrow in Los Altos.

This Wednesday, July 23, President Obama is visiting Silicon Valley for a
high-dollar fundraiser with leaders in the tech industry. And we, the
voters who twice propelled him to office using the power of the Internet,
are gathering to tell him, "Don't Kill the Internet!"

In the past, President Obama has promised to uphold Net Neutrality—the
principle that the Internet is an equal playing field for all. But he's
failed to speak out this summer, while big decisions are being made, for
the solution: treating the Internet as a public utility, the same way we
treat phone services and water. We're calling on him to act while there's
still time.  That's why, on the morning of July 23, MoveOn members and
allies will be gathering in Los Altos, CA. We'll greet President Obama and
send him this important message. Can you join us?

Here are the details:
What: Rally to save the Internet.
When: Wednesday, July 23, from 9:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Where: Los Altos, CA. Road closures are common when the president is in town.

Last week the movement to save the Internet hit a major milestone: the FCC
was flooded with more than 600,000 public comments—causing the website to
shut down and forcing the FCC to extend the deadline. Since the spring,
MoveOn members have submitted thousands of stories to the FCC, held
rallies at their offices across the country, and been calling the White
House every day to stop the FCC from allowing corporations to take over
the Internet.  Now we have to turn up the heat on President Obama, and
demand he keep his promise to preserve the open Internet. It's time for
him to publicly state that he supports the FCC treating the Internet as
the public utility it is.