[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Fw: Rice Dream? Fw: Hain-Celestial Ref. #: 2811140

John Thielking peacemovies at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 00:25:56 PDT 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Subject: Fw: Rice Dream? Fw: Hain-Celestial Ref. #: 2811140
To: "peacemovies at gmail.com" <peacemovies at gmail.com>

  ----- Forwarded Message -----
 *From:* NANO Email <Nano at wilsoncenter.org>
*To:* John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>
*Sent:* Friday, June 20, 2014 8:39 AM
*Subject:* RE: Rice Dream? Fw: Hain-Celestial Ref. #: 2811140

 Unfortunately because the Friends of the Earth study and the subsequent
news stories did not accurately portray our CPI, contact us before they
released their report/stories or reference the Weir study, it spread
misinformation and caused more confusion.  Therefore, we have removed the
products from the Weir study for the moment until we can develop a better
explanation of what that study evaluated and what it means in terms of the
amount of nano-scale titanium in each product.

The study itself tested a food grade titanium that is typically used in the
food industry.  That food grade titanium was then analyzed for TIO2 and
nano-scale TIO2.  They then tested various food products for titanium and
compared those results to the analyses of the food grade titanium.  In
essence they were making an assumption that if there is titanium in the
food product, it would have some component that was TIO2 and some fraction
would be at the nano-scale. You can read the entire study here:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es204168d?journalCode=esthag

The details in these studies are extremely important and were ignored in
both the FOE report and the subsequent news stories.

I hope this clears it up some.  We also have posted a statement on our
website with more detail: http://www.nanotechproject.org/news/archive/9243/

Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like to speak
over the phone.  My direct email is todd.kuiken at wilsoncenter.org or you can
call me at 202-691-4398.

Todd

 *Todd Kuiken, Ph.D.*
*Senior Research Associate *
Science and Technology Innovation Program
www.synbioproject.org
 Office | 202.691.4398
Mobile | 202.271.6777
 [image: Wilson Center RSS] <http://www.wilsoncenter.org/rss.xml>