[GPSCC-chat] Proposed increase in San Jose Police budget from 30 to 40% of general revenue

Brian snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:58:10 PST 2014

A case in point was the Pennsylvania "kids for cash" scandal.

 Luzerne County Senior Judge Michael Conahan shut down the state juvenile detention center in 2002 and
used County  funds pay for a multimillion-dollar
lease for the private facilities.

Judge Mark Ciavarella and Conahan corruptly and fraudulently
"created the potential for an increased number of juvenile offenders to
be sent to juvenile detention facilities," federal court documents
alleged. Children would be placed in private detention centers, under
contract with the court, to increase the head count. In exchange, the
two judges secretly received more than $2.6 million in kickbacks,
prosecutors said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/pennsylvania.corrupt.judges/