[GPSCC-chat] Fracking In Santa Clara County?

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 18:21:03 PDT 2014

Hello,

I just today got a fundraising e-mail from the Loma-Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club saying that there may soon be fracking taking place in the Bay Area, including the Southern portion of Santa Clara county. I looked at their map of the areas that may soon be fracked in CA ( located here:
http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/fracking) and it didn't seem that the Bay Area will be heavily impacted.  Monterey county and Napa county and Contra Costa county appear to be heavily affected. It seems that the Monterey Shale formation contains 2/3 of the oil reserves of the US, more than our fair share of oil and of big money chasing oil that will be difficult to overcome.

I'm glad I'm moving to Eugene, OR in June. There is little to no fracking currently occurring or planned in the state of Oregon, though there was a problem with the tar sands pipeline equipment being shipped through Portland and Eastern Oregon to the central US earlier this month. Other benefits of living in Eugene: the city recently passed a pro-fluoridation resolution, but the private water company that supplies drinking water to Eugene has no plans to fluoridate. There is no business license required for a home business and Eugene has no restrictions on storing your MLM pills and potions in your garage (though the neighboring town of Springfield technically bans selling anything not made on the premises). Both cities (as well as San Jose) ban having MLM groupies or other types of "employees" assemble at your residence. I'm sure there are other benefits too.  I will find out.

John Thielking