[GPSCC-chat] Meeting minutes 2014-11-20

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Nov 20 21:05:19 PST 2014

On 11/20/2014 2:47 PM, Tian Harter wrote:
> Green Part meeting agenda,  November 20, 2014.
 >

 > Pick meeting officials:

facilitator: Jim Doyle

note taker: Spencer

vibes watcher: Sandy Perry

> timer:  Caroline

agenda maker for next time: Sandy Perry

 > Introductions and announcements

       Sandy Perry

       Warner Bloomberg:  Next Plenary in Monterey in January.  If we
are to send Delegates and Alternates, they should be selected tonight or
December.

       Jim Doyle:  Treasurer and member of the County Council.

       Tian Harter:  Tian is throwing a party Friday, Dec. 26, 7-10 PM,
Tian's clubhouse;  all are invited.  Bike Party tomorrow night.

       Spencer Graves;  County Council, as't treasurer.

       Caroline Yacoub:  In charge of tabling, Keystone tar sands trains

       Patrick Laban:  former Democrat, recently reregistered Green.
Gender equality, LGBT, equal rights for people of color, homelessness.

 > Approve or modify and approve agenda
 >

 > Treasurers report:

       ** $36 collected from tabling at Junior State.

 > Keystone XL and the tar sands train (Caroline):  There will be mile
 > long trains going to Santa Maria.  Caroline suggests we write letters
 > to the San José City Council asking them to object to the oil trains.
 > Deadline is next Monday, Nov. 24.

Caroline will forward the email on this to Sandy, and Sandy will forward
the "asks" to sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org.

> The guy who wants to start a  green group at Santa Clara University
 > (Caroline):  Caroline received an email from Blair Libby, a student
 > at Santa Clara University via a Facebook page on a Green Party of
 > Santa Clara County;  there are 2 such Facebook pages.

*** Tian will look at our material on Facebook.

*** Sandy will try to find Blair Libby.

 > Tabling (Caroline)

       Tian and Caroline did Junior State.

       Holiday Peace Fair, Dec. 6.  Sandy will help part time between 8
and 10.  Tian will help in the afternoon.  (8 - 4 PM;  Tian will help
clean up.)  (Tian to ask Melanie if she'd like to manage this 10 - noon.)

* Follow-up from August:  What about:

(A1) The second web page on cagreens.org for the Santa Clara County
Green party

(A2) the Facebook page?

** CA Plenary in Monterey in January.  Caroline will go and provide
transportation for those who would like to ride with her.  Sandy will
send an email to the group to volunteer to be a delegate or alternate.

* SCC Greens to host a California Green Party Plenary to coincide
roughly with the US Social Forum, June 24-27, 2015?  [This was suggested
by Mike Feinstein.  Human Agenda will be doing something with that
Social Forum -- including, I think, prep activities in January;  Richard
Hobbs is involved.]  (Sandy)  Philadepha + Jackson, MI, + San José.
Shamako Noble is the national coordinator for the US Social Forum.

       * Warner:

             1.  We either as a local party or representing the State
party should have a table at this Social Forum.  We should also try to
contact Greens in other states.

             2.  Would we want to present 1 or more workshops?

             3.  This could be a major theme for the next 6 months for
us to do outreach using the voter registration list, etc., to let people
know this is coming.

       ** There will be a People's Movement Assembly.  There was one
about Hip Hop this last weekend.  Nov. 29 another one by Richard Hobbs.
Sandy will send material on this.  Spencer will post to the web site.
Sandy is involved with this.  It will be centered at San José State.

       * Warner would like to know the mechanism for the Santa Clara
Greens to be connected with this event so we can say we are connected.

Resolution:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County will support the US
Social Forum in San Jose in June, 2015.  (Approved.)

       * Regarding the possibility of a plenary, we need twice as many
active people working on it.  Caroline suggests we try to get twice as
many people working on it -- organizing an event of about 50 people.

Social Forum:  Wednesday - Saturday.  Plenary would be Friday night for
Coordinating Commmittee, Plenary Saturday and Sunday.

       *** We need to work with Green parties in other counties to help
organize this.

       *** With the Social Forum in San José, it would be stupid if we
didn't have the June Plenary here.

             1.  Find a venue;  Sandy will look for this.

             2.  Check the availability and cost of motel space.

             3.  The State Coordinating Committee has a dinner the night
before that must be arranged.

             4.  .. -

** Sandy:  Rev. Pinkney is facing charges around a petition drive. He
was convicted of 5 felonies.  Could face 25 years in prison. Sandy would
like people to sign.

* SCC Greens to endorse or co-sponsor a "Fifth anniversary commemoration
of Citizens United" (provided it doesn't cost us any money) being
organized by Move to Amend for January 24 (3 days after the actual 5th
anniversary, Jan. 21)  (approved)

* SCC Greens to support a local anti-corruption campaign similar to the
referendum that got 2/3 of the vote in Tallahassee, Nov. 4. (Spencer)

 > End of meeting

The movie "Shadows of Liberty" uncovers "the truth about corporate owned
media." It will be showing Friday, November 21:

 > * 2 PM @ San Jose State University, Yoshihiro Uchida Hall, Rm. 124.
 >

 > 7 PM @ San Jose Peace & Justice Center, 48 S. 7th St., San Jose, CA.
 >

 > The movie includes interviews with Julian Assange, Dan Rather, Dick
 > Gregory, Dan Ellsberg, Robert McChesney, John Nichols, and many
 > others.
 >

 > For more information, see "sanjosepeace.org", call 408-297-2299 or
 > email sjpjc at sanjosepeace.org <mailto:sjpjc at sanjosepeace.org>.

The 2014 Harvest Peace and Social Justice Craft and Info Fair is just
> around the corner this Sunday,  November 23rd starting at 11am and
 > going until 2pm.
 >
 > Event webpage: http://www.peaceandjustice.org/harvest-festival-2014/
 >  Downloadable pdf flyer at:
 > http://www.reachandteach.com/share/peacefair2014flyer.pdf