[GPSCC-chat] Take Action: Keep Tar Sands Out of San Jose

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 22:15:34 PST 2014

Caroline asked me to forward this message to the discuss list from 350.org.

Send Your Comment on Oil Train Expansion Through San Jose!

Deadline: Nov. 24

While there is much talk about Keystone XL in Congress, anothertar sands project is hitting much closer to home, right here in San Jose! Oil giant Phillips 66 is trying to get approval to send mile-long trains loadedwith tar sands crude 5 times a week through the East Bay rail corridor, throughSan Jose, and all the way down to their refinery in Santa Maria, near San LuisObispo.

Actions to take now:

1.  Submit your comment here: http://goo.gl/GKJDgZ. Whenyou submit your comment, do change the text in the form letter so that youmention your concerns for the local risks to San Jose. This lets them know thatour community is mobilized against this expansion. This took me 1 minute tocomplete.

2.  Call your San Jose city council member to ask them to send theircomment against the proposed oil by rail project at the Phillips 66 Santa MariaRefinery: http://goo.gl/hDn5hO. (Please give themthe link to the comment page, in step 1, above). We are told that sharingpersonal stories with council members can be very effective. Let them know howfar you live from the train and why this is very personal for you. This took me2 minutes to complete

3.  Read our Opinion piece in San Jose Mercury News aboutthe rail expansion! Link: http://goo.gl/3kbsdL. We are told that themore this story is clicked on by a reader the more likely they will be topublish more stories on this issue. We want them to know that this is importantto our community! You can also log in and leave your comment below the article.