[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [DAGreens] Apple Protest Tues Sep 9th, 8am start @ Memorial Park, across from De Anza

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 18:38:44 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: RainBeauFriend <RainBeauFriend at riseup.net>
To: dagreenparty <dagreenparty at lists.riseup.net>; dasfj <dasfj at lists.riseup.net>
Sent: Sat, Sep 6, 2014 3:30 pm
Subject: [DAGreens] Apple Protest Tues Sep 9th, 8am start @ Memorial Park, across from De Anza

Come join us in action for a better Apple, a better De Anza and a better
quality of life for Santa Clara Co. residents.
On Tuesday September 9th, begining at 8am the DA Green Party, other
concerned De Anza students, faculty and staff, and Unions representing
Apple janitors, security officers, and other property service workers
will be protesting Apple's actions. We will gather in the Memorial Park
across the street, at 8am, so please come join us for our peaceful
protest.

What are some of our concerns?

1) Apple bribed our administration, took over our supposedly "public"
campus for a number of weeks now, intimidated the De Anza community with
their "security" officers everywhere, scare tactics over even discussing
the monstrous sound stage they built for their Sept. 9th product launch.

2) Apple prospers at the expense of the community, doesn't pay its share
of taxes.  The resulting jobs v. housing imbalance is destroying the
quality of life for residents of Santa Clara and surrounding counties.

We need affordable housing, living wages, worker and environmental
safety, healthcare: better better labor conditions and a better quality
of life for Santa Clarans. Rising inequality remains a threat to Silicon
Valley's prosperity. 30% of jobs in the region pay less than a living
wage. Apple is a leader of the monster tech corporations and is in a
position to make a big difference to the community.  We call upon them
to step up and lead.

Apple currently is a bad neighbor:
    "...a growing number of local activists say that the country's most
successful companies aren't doing their part to improve the communities
around them..."

    "When people talk about Silicon Valley, San Francisco or this whole
area, people think that because it's the home of all this big tech that
everything should be fine," said Sam Kehinde, who organized the protest
as part of a larger campaign targeted at major tech companies. "There
should be good roads, infrastructure and good-paying jobs. But that's
not the case. Big tech has beautiful campuses, beautiful offices. But
the general public's community suffers."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/06/03/protestors-at-wwdc-say-apple-and-other-big-tech-firms-are-bad-neighbors/
https://missionlocal.org/2014/04/labor-union-to-cash-rich-apple-its-tax-time/
http://www.businessinsider.com/protestors-forced-apple-to-shut-down-san-francisco-store-2014-8

3) Last year community activists did the March to Heal the Valley and
spoke to Apple and Google about reforming their corporate policies to
become responsible corporate neighbors.  More info here...
http://www.siliconvalleydebug.org/healthevalley/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eIElvOBU8

Only 12 miles from Apple HQ is the largest homeless encampment in the
U.S., called "the jungle".
http://www.siliconvalleydebug.org/articles/2013/12/14/why-san-joses-largest-homeless-encampment-feels-occupy

Together we can call upon the monster tech corporations to change their
shameful behavior and becoming leaders in solving the social problems
they are creating.