[GPSCC-chat] DeSal in our Future?

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Apr 7 10:18:09 PDT 2015

Supervisor Cortese has, according to today's Mercury News, once again
raised the issue of having a Desalination facility as the solution for
future droughts.

Some thoughts:

As population grows, along with it's demand for food, at some point
desalination will become necessary.

Of all the areas of climate change adaptation, desalination is the one
that is most likely to be made environmentally acceptable by
technological advances.  In particular, nano-technology filters to
reduce energy requirements and industrial use of the waste solutions
from desalination process (one company has done a pilot project to make
cement in this way) all reduce the ecological impact.  One other project
that I know of uses solar energy to desalinate agricultural runoff,
returning water for irrigation and removing residues of pesticides and
fertilizers from the environment.

Should Green Party of Santa Clara County take a position on Cortese's
idea?  If so, I believe it should not be  a knee jerk rejection but one
based on sound ecological science.  Should we draft a letter to the
Board of Supervisors with a copy to the Mercury News?

Wes
--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/