[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [350SiliconValley] Help Needed in Palo Alto

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 17:22:49 PST 2015

FYI,

Gerry

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[350SiliconValley] Help Needed in Palo Alto
Date: 	Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:46:45 -0800
From: 	Shirley <shirleyeglington at hotmail.com>
To: 	350 SV google group <350siliconvalley at googlegroups.com>, mid-pen
global google group <mid-peninsula-global-coolers at googlegroups.com>

Hello Climate Activists,

*Good News: Palo Alto City Council will consider a fossil fuel
divestment resolution next Mon. night.  You can help in 2 ways:
1.  Attend the City Council meeting
when: Mon. Feb. 9 (arrive about 9:30 p.m.)
where: Council Chambers in City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto
(parking in basement with access from Ramona or Bryant) *
PA Councilmembers Berman, Burt, Holman, and Kniss have introduced their
Colleagues Memo Recommending Adoption of a Resolution Urging CalPERS
Divestment from Fossil Fuel Companies for Feb 9, item #11 (scheduled for
10PM, but that is only a guesstimate).
https://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civicax/filebank/documents/45735 .

Peninsula Interfaith Climate Action (PICA), which has significant
overlap with 350 SV membership, has advocated for fossil fuel divestment
in Palo Alto. At the Feb 9 Council Meeting, we will set the record for
“most letters with wet signatures” on a single topic at a single council
meeting: 153 letters.

Council has begged us to keep TOTAL public comment to FOUR MINUTES,
given the 10PM agenda time when Council is tired and wants to go home.
So, planned comments will be brief, followed by presentation of the
letters and *a request that all those present favoring the divestment
resolution stand.  350 members are encouraged to attend and be ready to
stand in favor of divestment*. You might want to arrive at 9:30PM, bring
some reading material, and resign yourself to the small possibility of
having to stay until 11:30PM. There are time-consuming/controversial
topics on the agenda ahead of our item #11.

*2. Comment on Palo Alto Weekly OpEd*

Please attempt to ensure that a comment is made on PICA’s Palo Alto
Weekly OpEd
(http://paloaltoonline.com/square/2015/02/02/interfaith-coalition-urges-city-to-push-for-fossil-fuel-divestment)

once every 4 hours from now until Feb 9. This sounds really silly, but
that is how the “Town Square Forums” work. Please: a) avoid directly
engaging with deniers, b) be super nice/polite, c) use your real name
and extra credit if you can check that you are a Palo Alto resident.
Note: The Feb 6 print edition of the Weekly will carry our OpEd.

Thanks for considering these actions,

Shirley