[GPSCC-chat] GPSCC January 22nd Monthly Meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jan 23 00:08:15 PST 2015

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>
> If anyone has an update to the draft agenda below, please send to sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org <mailto:sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org>, cc:  spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org <mailto:spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org>.  (I've had trouble with sosfbay-discuss, and I don't know if they've been fixed or not.)
>

> I plan to bring 7 copies of this agenda with me tonight.  Spencer
>

>> On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:30 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com <mailto:WB4D23 at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY
>> Draft Agenda for Monthly General Meeting January 22, 2015
>> San Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 South 7th Street, San Jose, CA (Between Santa Clara and San Fernando Streets)
>>
>> 7:00 pm – Speaker:  None announced as of January 19, 2015 (date of this agenda draft)
>>
>> 7:30 pm – Begin meeting -- Select Facilitator:  Tian

>> , Note taker:  Spencer Graves

>> , Time keeper:  Caroline

>> , and Vibes watcher(s):  Sandy.

>> ; Select Agenda Preparer for next meeting;  Jim Doyle

>> Affirm or modify draft agenda (5 Minutes):
>>
>> Introductions and Announcements (10 Minutes)

Caroline Yacoub, Jim Doyle, Spencer Graves, Warner, Tian …

>> Treasurer’s Report – Jim Doyle (5 minutes)

balance:  $891.57

>> Proposal by Jim Doyle:  Discontinue the GPSCC telephone number to save about $40 per month (10 minutes)

	  We delegate this decision to Jim and Spencer.

>> Proposal by Sandy Perry:  Donate $100 to the Rev. Edward Pinkney legal defense fund (10 minutes)

	  Pinkney is in prison now, convicted on 5 felony counts.  Some signatures on a petition were altered.  He claims he did not do it.

Warner would like to know the budget of the defense fund, what other organizations are contributing to it, and what else would the Santa Clara County Greens be doing with this?

Most of our donations to things like this have been to local people or causes.

Warner is concerned that our balance has been ~$2K +/- $500.  Now we’re below $1K.  This is a problem.

Caroline is concerned that we didn’t make half of that at the Holiday Peace Fair.

>> Items re GPCA Plenary in Seaside, CA this January 23-24 (15 minutes)

	  For the US Social Forum and the June Plenary, Warner believes it could be a huge mistake for the Green party NOT to organize workshops for the US Social Forum.

Warner suggested:

	  1.  Contradictions and value of electoral politics for progressive activists.

	  2.  Panel of people speaking about what can be accomplished by getting elected.

	  3.  Social media in campaigning.

Spencer is trying to organize a People’s Movement Assembly on electoral reform — both before and at the Social Forum.

>> Identify final list of delegates and alternates (on-line registration ended Wednesday January 21st); Identifying ride-sharing offered by Caroline; Proposal (Jim Doyle):  GPSCC delegates will have individual discretion to cast votes

>> Report on status of plans for a gathering of the US Social Forum June 24-27, 2015 at San Jose State University as part of concurrent polycentric gatherings – Sandy Perry (15 minutes)

	  The US Social Forum organizers is focusing on organizing People’s Movement Assemblies:

Sa, Jan. 31, 10 AM - 4 PM:  “Whose Constitution Is It?”, SEIU Hall, 2302 Zanker Rd., San Jose.

Next organizing meeting:  Th. Feb. 5;  ask Sandy or Derek Tennant about the details of where and exact time.

Peg Ellwell is on the logistic team.

Warner needs clear information to communication to the State party for the process for proposing workshops AND what is the process for tabling.

Sandy and Spencer are trying to attend organizing meetings and get more information from the organizers.  Send info to Caroline and others in addition to the sosfbay-discuss.

>> Report on status of plans to host GPCA state meeting June 27-28, 2015
>> Spencer Graves (15 minutes)

Warner:  For a political party to meet on SJSU, we need a sponsoring organization.  As a Political Party, we may not qualify to get space on SJSU.  As the local host, we either need to get that clarified immediately or start looking immediately for some other place.  That last time we did this, we used the United Way building.  Warner is concerned that being on site with the Social Forum would be a distraction for the state meeting.

** We also need someone on the state coordinating committee to work with us locally to help get facilities.

Sandy will check with DeAnza.  However, DeAnza may not allow closed meetings.

Warner will contact the United Way building and ask about availability and cost.

** In the past, non-Greens have attended a plenary as a non-delegate.  Tian and Caroline will ask about the closed meeting.

>> Report on follow up (from November 2014 meeting) with contacting student at Santa Clara University -- ??? (5 minutes)

Caroline would have liked to come tonight and attend the plenary.  He definitely wants us there for Earth Day.
Caroline will give his email address to Sandy.

>> GPSCC Web Page and Email Issues – Jim Doyle and Spencer Graves (30 minutes)

	  To volunteer, there’s a contact on the web site that leads to Jim receiving an email — rerouted by something in the server.  Jim would like it rerouted to multiple people (Jim + Spencer + Caroline).

>> Spencer Graves:  Report on GPSCC web page and email problems (10 minutes)

>> Jim Doyle:  Discussion item (no proposal made) that email notification should go to more than one person when someone contacts us via the web site (5 minutes)

Jim to try to fix this so he, Caroline & Spencer receive.

>> Jim Doyle:  Discussion item (no proposal made) Alternative to making Paypal donation button more visible.  (5 minutes)

Jim will do it.

>> Jim Doyle:  Report -- The “date of next meeting on website is broken” (5 minutes)

	  Jim will fix with help from Spencer.

>> Jim Doyle:  Discussion (no proposal made) Blog for the web site using wordpress
>> (5 minutes)

	  Tian will segregate Green Party stuff from Bike Party, and Tian will email the link to Jim.

>> Discussion of status of tabling supplies – (10 Minutes)
>> Included:  Spencer’s offer to print color bookmarks

	  Caroline needs to check the status of materials in her garage — with help from Tian.

>> Plans for Tabling – Need to identify events coordinators -- (10 Minutes)
>> Earth Day(s) in April???

Tain wants to register at San Jose State.

DeAnza may do Earth Day to May Day (Sandy)

Santa Clara University (Caroline)

Spring Junior State (in April;  Caroline & Tian)

Barryessa Art & Wine (~2nd Sat. in May)

>> Report on Single Payer Work – Caroline and Sandy (5 Minutes)

	  There will be a Health Fair, but we don’t have any details.

>> Include report by Jim Doyle  on sale of O’Connor Hospital and other hospitals

	  Jim is the Green party liaison to the Coalition for a downtown hospital & Coalition of nonprofits.  They are concerned about he proposed sale of O’Conner Hospital.  O’Conner has been a non-profit.  Prime is for-profit.  That authorizes the Attorney General to intervene.  Representatives from the Attorney General’s office came to meetings here.

	  Attorney General has sponsored public hearings in 5 locations.  At O’Conner, the room was too small, the overflow space was too small.  A representative of Jim’s Coalition spoke at 7:30 PM — the meeting started at 10 AM.

>> Report on Climate Change Work --  Caroline (5 Minutes)

	  Get Caroline back on sosfbay-discuss.