[GPSCC-chat] Google Voice for 408-22-EARTH?

Spencer B Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Sat Jan 24 21:36:19 PST 2015

	  Thursday evening we voted to terminate the $40 per month we’ve been paying for 408-22-EARTH (408-223-2784).

	  Fortunately, with Google Voice (and perhaps other similar services), we can retain that phone number for free.  The following outlines the process I’m told works:

		    1.  Create a gmail account for the Green Party of Santa Clara County, CA.

*** DO WE ALREADY HAVE ONE?  IF YES, WHO CURRENTLY MANAGES IT?  ASSUMING WE DON’T WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST WE CALL IT?  Something like santaClaraGreens at gmail.com <mailto:santaClaraGreens at gmail.com>?  [I haven’t tried this, but I might unless I hear a better idea.]

		    2.  Log into our Greens gmail account, then in the same browser, go to "google.com/voice <http://google.com/voice>”.

		    3.  Click “Get a voice number”.  This will open a window with buttons for “I want a new number”, and “I want to use my mobile number”.

*** THIS MAY NOT WORK FOR 408-22-EARTH, but I think it’s worth a try.

	  If this doesn’t work, we might find something different that will work — at something substantially less than $40 per month if not for free.  Google Voice wants to charge for this, but I think we can get it for free.

	  Might anyone care to help make this transition?

	  Thanks,
	  Spencer