[GPSCC-chat] Stanford considering the fate of century-old dam threatening endangered trout

Brian snug.bug at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:52:56 PST 2015

7-1/2 minute report on KALW 91.7 FM radio.

http://kalw.org/term/searsville-dam

One issue I have not heard addressed is that the silt has surely accumulated
upstream from the dam; if not removed it would surely wash downstream if
the dam were removed.

The report says that building a fish ladder for the steelhead would cost $2 million.
I would suggest that if some kind of fish trap were constructed for a few thousand
dollars, volunteers could carry the fish over the 65-foot dam using buckets.

When I was young we used to sneak onto the Jasper Ridge preserve there to do
rock climbing on its cliffs.