[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: STILL NO PLACE TO GO FOR SILICON VALLEY’S HOMELESS

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 09:54:22 PDT 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: US Social Forum <info at ussocialforum.net>
To: Christy Wong <perrysandy at aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Mar 31, 2015 9:39 am
Subject: STILL NO PLACE TO GO FOR SILICON VALLEY’S HOMELESS

  Four Months after the Closure of the “Jungle”:

  STILL NO PLACE TO GO FOR SILICON VALLEY’S HOMELESS

  Sponsored by CHAM and H.O.M.E.L.E.S.S., a group of homeless people, advocates, and people of faith will gather at the former site of the “Jungle” homeless encampment at 12 noon on Cesar Chavez Day, Tuesday March 31.

  We will speak out about the injury of a homeless woman last Friday while Caltrans was bulldozing her tent in a “clean-up” near Story Road. Thousands of Silicon Valley’s homeless still have no place to lay their heads tonight, almost four months after the Jungle was destroyed by the City of San Jose on December 4. In fact, the situation will get worse on Wednesday, when the County winter shelter program discharges an additional estimated 270 homeless out onto the streets.

  People who were evicted from the Jungle have moved and been displaced over and over with no end in sight. Some moved to the Walmart parking lot, then Roberts Road, then south of Tully, then to Phelan at the railroad tracks, then to north of Tully, then to Monterey Highway, then to Almaden Road, and they are still moving.

  When questioned by the Board of Supervisors on March 24, County officials stated that there are some 5300-5400 homeless for whom there is no housing or shelter available. When asked for their plan to address this situation, they responded, “There is no proposal at this time.”

  Having no proposal to house or shelter the homeless is not acceptable in the richest area in the world. A five-year plan is not acceptable, because people have no place to go right now. They are persecuted with endless nightmare evictions, harassment, criminalization, and frequent seizure of their personal belongings.

  Cesar Chavez dedicated his life to organizing for justice for the poor, and San Jose’s homeless and their allies are building a movement for the same cause.

  We call for an immediate commitment by elected officials to affordable housing for the homeless and for all people in need in Silicon Valley. While housing is being built, we call for establishment of legal campgrounds with appropriate sanitary facilities and trash disposal. Finally, we call on the state legislature to enact SB 608, the “Right to Rest Law”, that would outlaw discrimination against homeless people in public places.

  JOIN US AT 12 NOON TUESDAY, MARCH 31

  PLACE: THE FORMER “JUNGLE” ENCAMPMENT, SENTER & STORY ROAD, SAN JOSE

   Please allow time for parking on Twelfth Street, near Kelley Park, or at Walmart.

   This message is produced by a collective of local Slicon Valley/Bay Area organizations and is being passed along by the USSF SJBAYLOC.

   REGISTER FOR THE US SOCIAL FORUM IN SAN JOSE-SUPPORT THE STRUGGLE. PASS THE WORD. BE THE CHANGE

Registration

Thanks for your interest in attending the 2015 U.S. Social Forum.

This year's Forum takes place in three locations and there are two registration options for people planning to attend:

You can either

Register as an individual and select the Forum site you're planning to attend

OR

Register as an organization and register either three people (for $125) or 10 participants (at $200)

If you register as an organization, participant can attend the Forum at different sites. Organizations that register may go on to apply for a workshop or People's Movement Assembly. Workshops require two organizational sponsors. PMAs require four.

Remember that you can also register for the Forum in person but we encourage you to register as soon as you can. That will allow organizations to propose workshops or PMAs (that registration process will close in April) and it also supports our organizing the Forum since the event is mainly funded through registrations. We do not turn people away from the Social Forum if they can't pay.

For questions, please email info at ussocialforum.net.

Submit a session

The US Social Forum is accepting submissions for both Workshops and Peoples Movement Assemblies (PMA). Before you can submit your proposal you must be registered as an organization for the US Social Forum. If you have not yet registered, please Register now!. Each organization may submit a maximum of one workshop proposal and one PMA proposal.

After you have registered, you may submit a proposal for either:

Workshop: a 1.5 hour session that requires 2 registered Sponsoring Organizations.

Peoples Movement Assembly: a 4 hour session that requires 4 registered Sponsoring Organizations.

     Shamako Noble:
     408-624-2999

     Executive Director

    Hip Hop Congress

    www.hiphopcongress.com

    National Coordinator
     US Social Forum

     www.ussocialforum.net

     www.ussfphilly.org

     www.ussfsanjose.com

 United States Social Forum
      US Social Forum
225 E. 26th St, Suite 1
Tuscon, AZ 85713
United States

We are sending you this message because you have participated in our expressed interest in the US Social Forum. If you wish to no longer be on this mailing list, you may unsubscribe.