[GPSCC-chat] challenging the BART Burrow and screw-the-poor sales tax

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Thu Oct 22 23:30:50 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

Most of us would agree that a transit connection between the new
Berryessa BART station and the train stations at Diridon and Santa Clara
is needed. However, there might be some disagreement about how to
accomplish that link.

The VTA is planning to place a one-half percent sales tax measure on the
2016 ballot to pay for an expensive underground BART extension to cover
the six-mile route. Instead of spending $4700M for BART technology, what
if we use Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) technology instead to provide
similar service levels and 12 above-ground stations for only $200M (4%
of the BART cost)? That's what I have proposed to VTA management. To my
surprise, they don't seem interested. The Green Party may want to go on
record supporting a PRT alternative.

Or, the Green Party of Santa Clara County may want to sign onto the "NO"
argument to be published in the sample ballot next year. If there is
interest from this on-line group, I will start drafting the wording for
such an argument. In the meantime, learn more about PRT technology in
general and my proposal for applying PRT technology to this transit link
at
http://sunnyhillsneighborhood.org/crossing.html#what
http://sunnyhillsneighborhood.org/BART-PRT-comments.pdf

VTA needs the measure to pass with a 67% super majority. Even with
support from all the traditional backers of these sales tax measures
(this is the fourth one), attaining that super majority is challenging.
Some effort from those of us who see the BART Burrow as a boondoggle
could shave a few percent off the expected strong support at the ballot
box, perhaps enough to cause the measure to fail. Please let me know
what you think.
--
Rob Means, Secretary
Sunnyhills Neighborhood Association
408-262-0420, SNA at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave, Milpitas, CA 95036-0581