[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [gpca-forum] Julian Assange Addresses GPUS Pres Convention

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 7 08:50:49 PDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[gpca-forum] Julian Assange Addresses GPUS Pres Convention
Date: 	Sat, 06 Aug 2016 23:57:21 -0700
From: 	shane que hee via gpca-forum <gpca-forum at lists.cagreens.org>
To: 	gpca-forum at cagreens.org
CC: 	shane que hee <squehee at ucla.edu>

>   *Julian Assange: Voting Because You Fear the Other Candidate Is
>   ‘Extortion’*
>

> *Published* 2:26 pm EDT, August 6, 2016 *Updated* 2:42 pm EDT, August
> 6, 2016
>
> Comment
> <http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/julian-assange-green-party-watch-voting-fear-clinton-extortion-trump-interview-highlights-video/#respond>
>

> By Stephanie Dube Dwilson <http://heavy.com/author/dube/>
>

> Julian Assange addresses the Green Party. (YouTube/Green Party)
>
> Julian Assange addressed the Green Party this morning in a powerful
> live-feed video. Technical difficulties at first made it look like the
> interview might not happen at all. Assange even asked someone off
> camera: “Did they not test this?” Eventually they were able to
> overcome the difficulties and have a lengthy Q&A. These are highlights
> from his speech.
>
> Here’s what you need to know.
>

>     *Assange Said Voting to Keep the Other Candidate Out Is a Type of
>     Extortion*
>

> Assange told the Green Party that voting for one candidate solely to
> keep the other out of office was a form of extortion.
>
>     “What the Clinton campaign at the moment is trying to say is

>     Maybe we’re connected to arms dealers and to Saudi Arabia and yes
>     maybe we subverted the integrity of the Democratic primary
 But
>     you’ll just have to swallow that or else you’ll get Donald
>     Trump. That’s a form of extortion

> He added:
>
> “It’s very important not to allow the political process to suffer from
> extortion or even yourself to be susceptible to extortion
 It’s
> important for those people who feel their principles have been
> violated in the way the Democratic primary process has been run or how
> Chelsea Manning been in prison for 35 years
 to go OK, there’s a cost
> to violating principles, even if there’s also a cost to yourself, even
> if you don’t like the risk that Donald Trump becomes President. One
> has to have a line somewhere, otherwise as each election cycle
> proceeds you’re pushed further and further into the corner.”
>
> He also addressed the DNC leaks from WikiLeaks and the implications
> involved.
>
>     What they show is not only was there a sort of internal view

>     about how to undermine Bernie Sanders and support Hillary Clinton

>     But rather there were formal instructions made to DNC staff to
>     execute a campaign of black propaganda against Bernie Sanders
”

> He continued:
>
> “For example, Luis Miranda the communications chief instructed his
> staff to put out
 allegations that Bernie Sanders supporters were
> engaged in acts of violence. Similarly there were discussions to
> expose or rather claim that BS was an atheist and this would harm him
> in the south.
 Then there’s aspects to do with how financing was
”

>     *Assange Said WikiLeaks Was Not Trying to Harm Hillary Clinton*
>

> Assange addressed rumors that WikiLeaks was actively trying to harm
> Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
>
>     When we published the DNC leaks, the New York Times
 said that I
>     intended to harm Hillary Clinton. This is what we’ve been doing
>     for 10 years. That was a completely fabricated story
 We are in
>     interested in power and publishing the truth about power so people
>     can work out however they choose to reform power

> He encouraged third-party activists to keep fighting.
>
> “What is happening now with the Green party and Gary Johnson and
> Bernie Sanders’ campaign is very important but it must be seen past
> the moment, past this political moment
 (This is a) moment to build a
> movement and build pressure. Having built it, then, one can
 hold
> accountable and check the abuses of government during the next four
> years
 (Clinton and Trump) are two (of) the most unpopular pair of
> presidential candidates in U.S. history.
 They are going to continue
> to generate oversight and resistance which will not only create a
> fertile field for Gary Johnson and Jill Stein to grow their support,
> but will create a very fertile field to understand and hold the
> government to account.”
>
> He added that although he believes Clinton will most likely win, he
> doesn’t prefer either candidate:
>
> “I was asked this question, did i prefer Clinton or Trump? The answer
> is do i prefer cholera or gonorrhea?
 It’s a very sad situation.
> Given the reality has always been, the president pretty quickly merges
> with the bureaucracy that’s around it
 Corporate lobbyists are
> enormous compared to political parties.”
>
> He added that he was concerned with Google being one of those
> lobbyists and its connection to the White House. He was concerned that
> closer relations might hurt the way we communicate down the line.
>

>     *Assange: Jill Stein Will Be Attacked More After the Convention*
>

> Assange noted that Stein will be facing greater attacks in the coming
> months from the media.
>
>     I’ve just seen the attacks have started to ramp up on Jill Stein.
>     They are going to go thru the roof. Those attacks are going to
>     be ferocious
 You’ll learn lessons from that on how the media
>     works and how one can defend your principles and ideas in the
>     face of that
 To defend civil liberties and the Internet, the
>     first thing is to practice it.”
>
> He encouraged the delegates watching the feed:
>
> “Become your own media in practice in small ways and big ways
 Keep