[Sosfbay-news] Northern Irish Greens decline Bush invite for St. Patrick's Day

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 10:55:09 PDT 2007

I'm proud of my N. Irish brothers!  (I've been to N. Ireland 2x and
plan to go many more times to celebrate my Irish roots).

Impeach for Peace!

Drew

Northern Irish Greens decline Bush invite for St. Patrick's Day (fwd)
Date:	Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

PRESS RELEASE: GREENS DECLINE ST PATRICKS DAY
INVITATION TO THE WHITEHOUSE, CITING WAR IN IRAQ
AND CLIMATE CHANGE

THURSDAY 15 MARCH

The Green Party has declined an invitation to
join President Bush's Whitehouse celebrations on
St Patrick's Day. The Party is citing its
opposition to the war in Iraq and the need for
political leadership in the battle to protect the
climate and reduce greenhouse gas emissions as
their reason for the decision.

In a brief statement on behalf of the Party
Executive, Dr John Barry & Dr Peter Doran said:
"Green Partiy colleagues in the US and across the
world have been consistent in their opposition to
President Bush's illegal war in Iraq. Moreover,
if the Green Party is to be true to its
commitment to combat climate change, we must walk
the talk. The Party has decided that a two-way
trip across the Atlantic to celebrate St
Patrick's Day in the Whitehouse is not a
compelling reason, morally or practically, for
emitting half a tonne of CO2."

Citing the lack of leadership shown by the Bush
Adminstration on climate change Dr. Barry
explained: "Our decision to decline this
invitation should not be read as a criticism of
the American people, but of the Bush
Adminstration.  Despite the Bush adminstration's
lack of commitment to tackling climate change,
there are many positive signs of grassroots
leadership on the issue in the United States - in
California, for example. Dozens of Mayors
representing some 25 million Americans  have
signed up to an initiative to get American cities
to meet the US's Kyoto environmental target which
George Bush repudiated: cutting greenhouse gas
emissions by 7% by 2010."

The  Green Party Executive thanked the American
administration for the invitation but declined.

ENDS

More from:

Peter F Doran
Green Party
Media and Communications
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Home Tel. No. +2890874256
Mobile Tel. 07845355064
http://www.greens-in.org/download/14

Dr. John Barry
Co-Chair, Green Party in Northern Ireland
http://www.greens-in.org
johnj_barry at yahoo.co.uk
m: (0044) 07876597900
h: (0044) 02891 477937