[Sosfbay-news] Reminder: GOALS and STRATEGIES MEETING, Feb 19

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Tue Feb 15 16:43:30 PST 2011

      GPCA  GOALS  AND  STRATEGIES  FOR  LONG-TERM  PLANNING
                  A Participatory Exercise

WHEN:   Saturday, Feb 19
         10 am to 1 or 2 pm

WHERE:  Fred's Clubhouse
         Willow Park Condo Clubhouse, located at the intersection of
         Moffett Blvd. and W. Middlefield Road, in Mountain View (500
         W. Middlefield Rd. 94043)

NEEDS:  Some drinks and snacks would be nice. Please respond to this list if
you can bring something.

Dear Greens:

The state party would like to engage county Locals in an exercise to help
establish  long-term goals for the party. By agreeing on a set of goals, we
give the  party definition and purpose. From those goals we develop strategies
for their implementation. This creates projects for our Working Groups and
Standing Committees, and it helps attract volunteers and donations.

It's important to be realistic when setting goals. Brainstorming exercises
encourage free-thinking with no critique or analysis of suggested issues. Goal
  setting is different; it's intended to derive projects that are achievable,
not just desirable. We all have a list of favorite issues and a wish-list of
what we'd like the party to be. But we must focus on what we can actually
accomplish -- realistic goals.

Locals are encourage to get together with neighboring counties for this
exercise. Gathering into a group from a few counties helps the thought
process. It gets us outside of our normal monthly meeting crowd and provides
the synergy of a larger group.

PROCESS

Take notes of the goals discussed and rank or categorize them by the level of
agreement or support.

There is wiki that is (ostensibly) for posting comments. It's not designed too
well, but it can be used for submitting our comments.
http://wiki.cagreens.org/index.php/GPCA_Strategic_Action_Plan

  DISCUSSION

The state party wants to hear what Locals think our long-term goals should be.
This requires some degree of open discussion, but the exercise must remain
moderated by the theme of realistic goals. For every suggested goal, the
presenter should have some idea of a strategy to implement that goal.

Basically, the question to answer is, "What should the GPCA accomplish in five
years and in ten years?"

Some organizing may help the discussion:

Political Goals
          Partisan and non-partisan candidates
          Campaigns and ballot proposition
          Election reforms