[Strategy] Alameda County Info: [GPCA Official Notice] Reply requested from Campaigns & Candidates Working Group

Greg Jan gregjan4 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 23:10:30 PDT 2009

For Alameda County:

1) partisan office --

***Laura Wells, State Controller

***Jeremy Cloward -- who is currently a special election candidate for U.S. Congress, District 10 (which is mostly in Contra Costa County, but a small portion is in Alameda County) -- he's told us that his current plans are to run again for CD-10 next year.

2) non-partisan offices --

***Regarding local Berkeley races:  We will likely have one (or possibly two or even three) candidate(s) for the Berkeley Rent Board race in November, 2010.  (I believe that four seats will be contested then).  Two Green Party incumbent's terms are up then (Lisa Stephens and Pam Webster), and it is pretty likely that at least one of them will run again, and maybe both.  Plus we might have a 3rd candidate too, but we won't know about that until later on.  And as far as the November, 2010 Berkeley City Council races go, several Berkeley Greens will soon be discussing the situation with other progressives (who are mostly Democrats, but there are also some decline-to-states, and maybe some P&F), and there is a possibility that one (or maybe more) Greens might be running if the "coalition" thinks it would be practical, etc.  It's all up in the air right now, so we'll have to wait and see what emerges on that later on this year.....

***Regarding Oakland, we might have a candidate for Oakland City Council or Mayor -- we're currently discussing it, and we'll know more later on this year.  (Those elections are supposed to be via IRV in November, 2010, but there's a reasonable chance that that won't actually happen next year, in which case the initial election will be in June, 2010, with the runoff election happening in November, 2010).

***Regarding other cities or towns -- There is a City Council election in Albany in November, 2010.  We haven't yet heard whether any local Greens there will be running for City Council or School Board seats, but several local Albany Greens there have served on (or are currently serving on) some of the local city Commissions.

***Regarding the November, 2010 local special district races (such as BART, the local bus transit agency, the Regional Park District, the water board, or the Community College District), we haven't yet started discussing any of those, but I'm hoping that we'll also get to that later on this year as well.

3) Potential candidates -- We're working on it!....