[StrategyPlan] Wiki and Announcement

Kendra Gonzales earthworks_works at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 11:07:16 PST 2011

My responses below in bold

________________________________

From: Jim Stauffer <jims at greens.org>
To: strategyplan at cagreens.org
Sent: Tue, January 11, 2011 5:28:59 PM
Subject: Re: [StrategyPlan] Wiki and Announcement

I don't see how asking counties to comment on some topics is "telling the
counties....". Its an invitation, its optional, its voluntary. It lets the
counties know what what we "state leaders" have been thinking and talking
about...so far. Its not the end-all, end product, its just a starting point.
However, its all moot anyway because the email has gone out with just the 3
broad questions and no reference to any specific topics. You got what you
wanted, so what is  your argument?. Are you blocking that we at the state level
do any strategic planning ourselves?. If not, then just as we are doing with the
counties, we need a repository for our ideas and data as well. If we are using
Wiki for all Greens, then lets be consistent and also use Wiki for specific
topics that we can add as we go through this. ...

The topics were to also include the many points you put forth. As to consensus,
you and Shane were the only ones to put forward any specific topics. I didn't
because between the 2 of you, all the bases were pretty much covered, as
starting points...again, JUST to get conversation started. Please, lets not get
stuck on "this is it...these are the topics....there is nothing else we need
to talk about....obviously there is much more, there will be more, we are in the
beginning stages of this process.

As to spending months on this....I don't want to, didn't want to.... but we
obviously have to. Its about compromise and building consensus. I'm guessing
that if this proposal, which seemed to have consensus quite a while ago had gone
to an IT person who didn't have blocking concerns then it would have gone out
quite awhile ago. So, you need to take some responsibility in the length of time
this has taken. Shane also had some suggestions and concerns, we talked about
them, and he stepped aside. The other co-co's have been supportive. The CC is
supportive. That sounds like consensus to me, except for you. So, here we
are...again.

However, you deleted any reference to specific topics in the email that went out
an hour after you posted this anyway!. Thats fine, thats great!. If I were a
Green going to Wiki for the first time to post my county's ideas on the 3 very
broad questions and also saw some specific topics being openly discussed, I
would not think...."oh no! The state party is telling me what to do". I would
think "oh, here are some specifc things being discussed, and we are invited to
post our ideas too...and we are  even invited to create new topics!" So, if its
an open invitation to everyone, any topics can be added, I don't get why you
think Greens will think this is top-down?.
So, we are still having the same debate about whether or not we should be
telling the counties what topics to discuss. How many more months do you want
to spend on this issue? And, who said *these* are the topics we need to
discuss? I don't remember any consensus around that.

If you and Shane think these topics are the most important, then bring them up
when you have your county/group meeting.

Can we then say the same for the specific topics you brought up?. The plan was
to include your suggested topics in the Wiki as well. Are you suggesting we
don't have any topics on the Wiki ever?. If so, then how do you suggest the
State Party do any strategizing?. How do you suggest we create a documented
Strategic Plan?. What other methods to you have in mind?. We've chosen Wiki as
the tool, and we eventually need to have some way to keep the ideas organized.
How else do you suggest we keep ideas organized, than by topic?.

I am adamantly opposed to listing these topics in the intro to the wiki as if
they are some definitive list ordained by the GPCA.

I had sent an email saying...go ahead, delete "topics" from the intro. I thought
we were done. Then you sent this....I'm confused as to what you are asking.

Are you suggesting we don't have any specific topics on the Wiki ever?. If so,
then how do you suggest the State Party do our strategizing?. How do you suggest
we create a documented Strategic Plan?. What other methods to you have in mind?.
Let me reiterate, nothing here is definitive....nothing on the Wiki is
definitive....none of the topics are ever definitive....strategic planning is
all about having some kind of goal in mind and some ideas of how to get there
and the ability to be flexible and allow the Plan to change and evolve with the
times.  I honestly do not know where you keep getting "definitive" from....I've
never put this proposal forth as being that. I've been saying over and over that
is what we don't want and couldn't possibly create.

If you really want to
pursue creating such a list, it's going to need a lot more buy-in than just
you and Shane.

We have the buy-in!. We've had the buy-in for awhile!. Seemingly, you are the
only one that keeps blocking!  How much more assurance do you need that this is
NOT a definitive, rigid, state-created, top-down strategic planning process?.
Quite the opposite!. Please assure me that you are not blocking for just
blocking's sake?

Jim, please clarify what you are asking for. I know what you DON"T want, and I
AGREE. Please describe the how of Strategic Planning if you don't want a
"topics" format on Wiki. How else do you suggest we gather information?.

Jim