[Marin-d] Beginning Monday: legal to bring concealed weapons into Muir Woods, Point Reyes Seashore, Golden Gate National Recreation Area

davidquinley at aol.com davidquinley at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 11:59:24 PST 2010

 put up http://digitaldaq.deviantart.com/gallery/

 http://www.facebook.com/david.quinley?ref=mf

 http://twitter.com/davidaquinley

 for more outside bay area

http://www.facebook.com/david.quinley?ref=mf

Beginning Monday it will be legal to bringloaded, concealed weapons into Muir Woods National Monument, PointReyes National Seashore and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
The Bush administration overturned a 25-year-old Reagan administrationfederal rule that restricted loaded guns in national parks after theSupreme Court struck down a handgun ban in Washington, D.C., anddeclared that individuals have a constitutional right to possessfirearms for self-defense and other purposes.
Now under the new rule visitors can legally carry a loaded gun into apark or wildlife refuge - but only if the person has a permit for aconcealed weapon and if the state where the park or refuge is locatedalso allows concealed firearms. California allows concealed weapons.
"We have been working closely with local, state and federal officialsto ensure that we clearly understand the provisions of the laws thatwill now apply to our visitors when they are in the park," said DonNeubacher, Point Reyes National Seashore superintendent. "We encourageevery visitor who may wish to bring firearms to the park to do theirresearch ahead of time and ensure that they are aware of and abide bythe laws that apply. Our goal is to provide safe, enjoyable park visitsfor everyone."
The change is being criticized by some.
"Allowing untrained and unlicensed people carrying guns in nationalparks is an invitation to disaster," said John Waterman, president ofthe U.S. Park Rangers Lodge,

FraternalOrder of Police. "It puts the safety of the public and rangers atincreased risk and virtually invites the desecration of our natural andhistoric treasures. This law threatens the very nature of afamily-friendly national park. We will continue to work to change thislaw."
The previous Reagan-era gun rules were designed to curb poaching andthey worked. Commercial and opportunistic poaching decreased with theprohibition on open-armed carry of firearms in national parks, Watermansaid.
The National Rifle Association, which led efforts to change the gun regulations, applauded the new rule.
A spokesman for the National Rifle Association scoffed at the idea thatparks would become more dangerous, saying people have been assaultedand even murdered in national parks.
"This common-sense measure will enhance the self-defense rights oflaw-abiding Americans and also ensure uniformity of firearm laws withina state," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.
There are still some restrictions in parks. Weapons cannot be broughtinto federal buildings. At the Point Reyes National Seashore, signs areposted at the visitors center, park headquarters and other buildingsreminding visitors that weapons are not allowed in buildings.
Guns will be allowed in all but about 20 of the park service's 392locations, including some of its most iconic parks: Yellowstone, theGrand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, Yosemite and Rocky MountainNational Park.
The park service has prepared for months for the new law.
"We will administer this law as we do all others - fairly and consistently," said Jon Jarvis,  National Park Service director.
The Associated Press contributed to this report; contact Mark Prado via e-mail at mprado at marinij.com