[Sosfbay-discuss] Labor Plank

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Dec 2 11:22:08 PST 2005

Jim,
I noted that Warner's notes from plenary issue discussion said the following
about the labor plank.

Platform plank #2  Rewrite of Unions statements in the Social Justice & Liveable
Communities Section of the GPCA Platform.

Comments by Jim Stauffer:  More concerns about specialized and unclear language
in this proposal.  Written comments need to be forwarded to the Platform
Committee.
__
I will not be able to be at the County Meeting, but I would agree with you on
this.  I have a lot of concerns with this item. They begin with the unstated
assumption that all union activity is good and that all corporate activity is
bad.  It is my experience, both as a union member and as a corporate manager
that neither is the case.  I have seen the seamier side of union behavior and it
is not pretty.  As I note below, any provision that does not allow the worker to
opt out of being in a union that has become corrupt is not democratic.  I find
that this is a good reference for democratic unionism:
http://www.uniondemocracy.com/pdfs/Democracy.PDF
__

Here are some specifics:

1.· Repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act and "right to work" laws that restrict the
right to organize unions.

There are a lot of problems with the Taft-Hartley Act.  However, if a worker
were to feel that their union were corrupt and did not want to belong to that
union, under these cases the worker could be forced to join the union or quit.
Union shop agreements form a financial  underpinning for corruption (e.g.
Historical Teamsters and Longshoreman's unions).

3. · Legislation to allow all American based workers to join the independent
union of their choice through a "card-check" sign-up procedure.

The term, independent union is undefined.  Does this imply only that the union
is not a "company union"?  Does it imply the existence of many unions with the
same bargaining rights for the same jobs at one company?

8.· The continued and secure existence of a fully government funded social
security system.

While a valid social justice issue, it does not belong under the heading of a
"union" plank.

16. · Legislation to facilitate workers and/or communities taking over closed
plants and forming employee-owned businesses.

This may keep jobs in a community, but how is this a "union" isssue any more
than it is a Sustainable Development issue.

B. Labor Organizing Strategies:

1.· The direct and democratic control of unions by their rank and file members.

This may alleviate some of my concerns about the structure of the union, but we
can't even implement this within GPCA.

C. Labor Unions and the Environment:

While the goals stated here are worthy, the facts are that unions, in the
interest of creating new, often ephemeral jobs, support some of the most
environmentally objectionable projects.  In particular, I should mention the
Teamsters Union support of all of the current proposals for offshore drilling,
drilling in the ANWR, oil shale development, etc.  In a similar manner, all of
the building trade unions consistently support the rampant expansion of
development anywhere, everywhere, as long as there are carpenter, electrician,
etc. jobs.  They continulally support the same politicians with their funds as
the large scale developer and real estate interests.  This proposal does not
address the development issues in any manner.  It is a first start at trying to
prevent the jobs vs. environment conflicts, but it still needs a lot of work.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you
are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/
Tel: 408.778.3024