[Sosfbay-discuss] GPCA Voter Registration falls yet again

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Nov 10 11:45:56 PST 2005

The data at the end of this was posted today to the grns-cal-forum by Mike
Feinstein.

I have not responded there, but I want to put in my .02 here about the reasons
why this happens.

I believe that one primary reason for declining numbers is the fact that Green
Activists continue to focus on the major national issues and are often
disconnected with local politics and local issue.  Every single Green that I
know of who has been elected or who has made a major difference in their
district has done it by being responsive to local needs and finding Green
Solutions to those needs.

- The local ramification is that we need to take on some of the local, in the
pockets of the developers, politicians if we want to keep the public aware of
the party.  My prime candidates for 2006 might be Assemblyman Coto or County
Supervisor Don Gage.  I would have put Ron Gonzalez in the list of "in the
pockets of the developers" targets if he were not going to be term limited out.

- The best recent example is that of Gloria Mattera, running for Brooklyn
Borough President.  Basing her campaign on the local issue of neighborhood
busting development, funded by public giveaways and back door payments to
politicians, she made a major impact, garnered support from other candidates and
while Gloria did not win against the Democratic Party machine, every one of
those other candidates was elected to City Council offices by large majorities.

The second reason we are falling is the lack of a well known, always good for a
sound bite, public spokesperson.  In the past, Camejo and Medea Benjamin have
been those people.  You see how the major media flock to celebrity.  However
dedicated they are, however hard they work, however much good they do, Beth
Moore Haines and Sara Amir can not compete with Rob Reiner and William Beaty or
even Republican  Duff Sundheim as spokespersons for this party.

The third reason we are failing is that the effort to become the political voice
of all progressives will doom us to failure.  The proper strategy is not to
out-progressive the Democrats but rather the strictly adhere to the 10 key
values of this party and let the chips fall wherever they may. That may mean
siding with Republicans, as Medea did with Tom Campbell.

I read yesterday of a Republican calling for the return of his party to their
original (I almost said traditional) values, those values were:
- fiscal responsibility with the goal of balanced budgets,
- progressive taxation,
- environmental protection,
- freedom of individual choices,
- limited powers of the federal government,
- paper-verification of voting results,
- judicial independence,
- prohibition of torture of prisoners and
- separation of church and state.

They sound mildly Green.  If the Republican Party had stayed with those values
that I remember from my youth, I would probably still be a Republican.  They did
not and I am not.

--

The October 24th voter registation totals are out

http://ss.ca.gov/elections/ror_10242005.htm

and we fell another tenth of a percent, down to 0.92%.

For more information on long-term Green voter registration trends, see

http://greens.org/stats

County	Green

Alameda	13,956
Percent	1.98%