[Sosfbay-discuss] Al Gore on Democracy in trouble?!?

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 14:57:25 PDT 2005

I was surprised by what Al Gore said in his speach.
"American Democracy in Trouble", subtitled
"It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness
of our public discourse".

This message from a former Democratic candidate for
President?  I wonder what Nader would say.

First paragraph:

"I came here today because I believe that American democracy is in grave
danger. It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public
discourse. I know that I am not the only one who feels that something
has gone basically and badly wrong in the way America's fabled
'marketplace of ideas' now functions."

Last paragraph:

"The final point I want to make is this: We must ensure that the
Internet remains open and accessible to all citizens without any
limitation on the ability of individuals to choose the content they wish
regardless of the Internet service provider they use to connect to the
Worldwide Web. We cannot take this future for granted. We must be
prepared to fight for it because some of the same forces of corporate
consolidation and control that have distorted the television marketplace
have an interest in controlling the Internet marketplace as well. Far
too much is at stake to ever allow that to happen.We must ensure by all
means possible that this medium of democracy's future develops in the
mold of the open and free marketplace of ideas that our Founders knew
was essential to the health and survival of freedom."

Gerry