[Sosfbay-discuss] Arte Cubano

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Oct 25 10:45:51 PDT 2005

Morgan Hill's Bob Freimark is, without a doubt, the South Bay's most renowned
artist, especially outside the US.  Last night, I watched his self-produced 1999
video entitled Arte Cubano.  The impetus for this effort was an exhibit that he
curated for the Portland, OR museum and which had works from 52 countries, but
none from Cuba were allowed.  Freimark decided to rectify the situation,
finagled an exhibit of his own work in Havana and spent several months there.

What emerged was a good introduction to Cuban art and culture.  But, underlying
all of this was in implicit repudiation of American Policy re: Cuba.  Well, more
than implicit because Freimark takes on the question of "political art."  Where
we allow our leaders to talk of the success of a policy of engagement in China,
why do we not follow the same course with Cuba?  Mostly because the expat cuban
population of S. Florida is a swing vote in a swing state.

The video is available from the Santa Clara County public libraries as soon as I
return it.
--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much
and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on."

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024