[Sosfbay-discuss] "Dare to Win"

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Fri Apr 14 00:02:32 PDT 2006

I may have been the only GPSCC delegate at last year's national
convention who stuck with Nader.   I think it would have been to the
Green Party's advantage to endorse the Nader-Camejo ticket.  Both of
them were known nationally, especially Nader. Peter was a Green Party
member who made a respectable run for Governor. Together, and especially
with the Green Party's backing, they would have reached many more people
     and made enough waves to attract much more media attention.

Although the majority of Greens wanted David to represent the party
because he  did more grass roots campaigning with and for Green
candidates before the convention, he wasn't pulling in many new members,
it seemed to me.

I don't think the Green Party would have become less of a national party
  if the Nader-Camejo ticket would have gotten the Green green light to
represent the values of the party.  In fact, I think  with  two
unintimidated campaigners like Ralph and Peter representing the spirit
of the Green Party, we would have grown much more during and after the
election.

The hard core Greens who were loyal to Cobb felt that nominating Cobb
would be a big step in grooming an in-party prospect to become a
national Green leader and  a stronger candidate for the 2008
presidential campaign.  In three years we will find out if it worked.

I think both Peter and Ralph could have gained the support of the Greens
if they had done much more to cultivate the delegates' support.  Peter
was overconfident and apparently lost the friendship of some delegates
who then electioneered much more intensely for David.  Also, I think it
should have been on top of Nader's priorities to be present in Milwaukee.

Not only did I end up in the minority during the vote, I also failed to
find a Friday Night Fish Fry (so popular in Wisconsin) that wasn't
overflowing  with local fried  perch addicts.

Although I have been critical of Peter Camejo in a couple of instances,
I think he can be the ideal candidate to stir the imagination of Greens
and other independent progressives in the state.  With adequate support
from the Green Party, he could duplicate, or exceed, the success he
attained in the last election.

For those who felt angered by him, I suggest that they forgive and
forget.  I believe he is an honorable person who will make the Greens
proud while representing the party as well as the hundreds of thousands
- if not millions - of "disenfranchised" who are so deeply frustrated
with the many two faced, status quo milk toasts that tow the
corporate-military-Wall Street-executive complex line.

Camejo knows how to expose the deception of Schwarzenegger and others
with pork laden baggage and whose pockets are crammed with special
interests' bribes.  He also comes up with some outside-of-the-box ideas
of his own.

In the spirit of good government, good discussion and goodwill.

Fred D.

Cameron,

I wasn't at the National convention, so I don't know about what Nader
did or didn't do.  I have to depend for information on those of you
who attended.

But I WAS THERE AT THE PLENERY WHEN COBB ANNOUNCED HIS INTENTION TO
RUN "SAFE STATES" AND I ALSO READ HIS HANDOUT AT THAT PLENARY.
When and where he backed off from that intention, I don't know, but
that plan was his at the plenary, and it was his way to present
himself as different from the other presidential candidates.  If it
was just a temporary ploy, then I have even less respect for him than
before.

Andrea