[Sosfbay-discuss] FWD: BAREC: Important Update, please read: August 9, 2006

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 18:07:39 PDT 2006

From: info at savebarec.org
Subject: BAREC: Important Update, please read: August 9, 2006
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:10:01 -0700
BAREC Friends (new and old):

Much has happened in the past two weeks, so I wanted to give you an
update.  There is a lot of information in this note as I want to keep
the number of emails we send out to you at a minimum.

One of the most amazing things about being involved with BAREC over
these past three and a half years is still meeting people at the Santa
Clara Farmers' Market on Saturdays and learning most of the people I
meet do not even know about this property.  I am completely puzzled
that the existence of 17 acres of prime farmland, public land, right
here in a city of 100,000 people is unknown to the majority of its
citizens and they have no idea it is at risk of being sold for housing.
 The City is not keeping its citizens informed.  Every Santa Claran
should call the Mayor's office and demand to have a public study
session.  It's easy to do, just call: 888-BAREC-80 and press 1.  You
will be directly connected to the Mayor's office.

Here's what's happening:

1. Recirculated Draft Environmental Impact Report
The City of Santa Clara has re-released part of the Draft Environmental
Impact Report (DEIR).  The public comment period is now open and will
close September 8th.  We will be sending out a separate email in a
couple of weeks with instructions on the simple things you can do to
comment on this document.  We have not completely digested the new 500+
page document, but we have read that is has not acknowledged that the
land can sustainably remain an agricultural open space.  The State's
consultants say it is "not economically feasible to farm" and now
states none of the project goals will be met if it is kept agricultural
zoned.  Well, of course the housing development goals will not be met.
They are also claiming the financial benefits will not be met for the
State.  The State's obligation is to serve the public.  Money is not
always the best way to serve the public and an agricultural solution is
something that will generate money for the State (e.g., new jobs,
better urban farming practices, local food production, reduced energy,
sustainable research, etc.).  We do not know where the State's
consultants are getting their information.  We have shown a number of
local examples which allow for financially sustainable educational
urban farming.  See item two for more details and a link to the 11
minute video.  We will need your support in the near future when public
hearings take place and will keep you posted.  Any Traffic Engineering
or Economist experts are requested to get involved to give substantive
comment on the DEIR.

2. Friends of BAREC present the benefits of Educational Urban Farms to
the City Council
Linda Perrine presented a very clear and comprehensive picture about
how agricultural land can be used in the City of Santa Clara.  She
showed how agriculture land is serving other communities in California
while not costing the cities any money. In fact...it actually generates
income.  Click here to view the video.  You will want to download the
slides to follow along as the video is a bit blurry.  The City Council
listened to the presentation, but Mayor Mahan did not let anyone from
the public speak.  Click here to listen to her directive at the
beginning of the meeting.  When a Santa Clara citizen (not part of our
group) went to comment, the Mayor shut off the microphone and called a
recess.  Click here to briefly see her actions.  Click here to see the
letter we sent the City Clerk and City Attorney asking if it was even
legal for the Mayor to do this.  The City Attorney's office has not
responded as of 8/10/06.

3. The web site has the latest City Council meeting videos posted on it
A new web page has been created that puts most of the relevant past
City Council meetings on one page.  Click here to see it.  It gives a
brief summary of each meeting's contents and then provides a link for
you to view the video segments.  It is an easy way to see how Council
members feel and what has been presented publicly.

4. The City sent out letters stating weed abatement will be done on the
BAREC land Friday, August 11th
Click here to see a copy.  Only a few neighbors received this notice.
During this process there is a risk that toxic materials in the soil
may become airborne into neighbor's yards and homes.  We'll see how
safe the State is being with the community.  If you live in the area, I
would suggest you stay away from your house on Friday as toxins, dust,
or other foreign material may be in the air during their weed control
activity.  We wrote the DTSC, the City of Santa Clara, and the City of
San Jose to try to stop the proposed method and use a safer, more
effective method.  One of our members has a water based patented
technology that we suggested as one possible alternative and he has
offered his services in kind to abate this land (no cost to the
citizens or the State).  He is doing this at Ulistac this weekend.  The
State has not approached him for this nor have they stated they are
looking at other means for typical weed abatement.  You can look him up
under Cameron Colson or HMO - Hydro Mechanical Obliteration.

5. Referendum Required as a Last Resort
We want to make everyone aware of this fact.  As many of you already
know, this is a last resort.  If the City of Santa Clara and the City
Council continues down the current path of approving this development
application and change the zoning from Agriculture to Residential, they
(the City Council) will force the citizens to go through the referendum
process.  This process allows the people to decide on an issue with a
vote if they feel the City Council made a wrong decision (e.g.,
changing the zoning from Agriculture to Residential).  This will cost
the people money, but it will also cost the City of Santa Clara money.
The SaveBAREC petition you all have signed is our good will effort to
show the City Council we can get the needed signatures on a real
petition and force them to place this issue on a ballot.  Do we want to
do this?  No.  Will we?  Yes, because the alternative means current and
future generations will never be able to fight this battle or use that
land...ever.  So, if someone comes to your door or you see someone
outside your supermarket talking about BAREC, please sign the petition.
 We will have only 30 days to get the needed signatures from residents
once the City Council makes a zoning change.  If you are a Santa Clara
resident and want to help, please reply to this email.  We will
probably need your service in the October timeframe.  Even if you are
not a Santa Clara resident, we still  will need your help. Please
continue to spread the word as well.

6. Upcoming City Staff and City Council Meetings
We need you to be available for the next City Staff and City Council
meetings.  It will be in a couple of months.  Public comment needs to
overwhelm the City workers so they hear what the public is saying.  The
Council thinks the citizens are happy with this development proposal.
You need to tell them otherwise.  We will let you know when the next
meeting is scheduled.

7. Santa Clara will elect two new council members and a new mayor this
November
John McLemore is the only person running for mayor who has spoken out
against the current development plans, while Mayor Mahan feels the
current housing development plan is a good solution.  John supports our
group.  Visit his web site.  There are other candidates running for
Caserta's and Mathews' position, so ask them how they feel about
developing the BAREC property and what they plan to do about it.  Ask
the questions they don't want to be asked, pin them down, and demand
answers!  We will be getting positions from the candidates in the near
future as well, but don't wait for us.

Something everyone involved in this effort should read is the following
two sentences from the Constitution of the State of California.  Read
it and know you can make a difference.  Don't just say,"Of course it is
going to be developed."  This is State land...public land.  Keep public
land public!  You can make a difference.

“All political power is inherent in the people. Government is
instituted for their protection, security, and benefit, and they have
the right to alter or reform it when the public good may require.”
Constitution of the State of California: Article 1, Section 2

Hope to see you all at the Santa Clara Farmers' Market on Saturdays
from 9am-1pm.  And as a reminder, our non-profit sponsor has Federal
non-profit status and is a 501(c)(3) charity.  You can donate to them
and get a documented tax deduction.  We really need your help.

-Kirk

kirk at savebarec.org
www.savebarec.org
888-BAREC-80