[Sosfbay-discuss] auto industry

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 20:45:05 PST 2006

 From an article by Jesse Jackson pointing out the
decline of the auto industry.

It asks questions.  Do we have the answers?

Obviously, this crisis requires urgent, intense national action. Are we
prepared to let the auto industry die? If not, what steps can be taken
to relieve the burdens of their health care and pension costs? What
should be expected from the automakers in return in terms of investment,
jobs guarantees, fuel efficiency and alternative-fuel cars? What
penalties or incentives should be provided to the oil industry to force
proliferation of alternative-fuel pumps in gas stations? How does all
this fit into a concerted drive for energy independence?