[Sosfbay-discuss] auto industry--what about electric cars?

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Tue Dec 26 10:54:59 PST 2006

I am constantly amazed at people who fail to understand that cars
need not include fuels that have to be pumped at gas stations!

Take a look at the latest (carefully groomed and PR-pretty) entry to
the electric car class: the Tesla Motors Roadster (http://
teslamotors.com/index).
All electric, sexy, high-speed (135 mpg equivalent), 0-60 in 4
seconds, 1 cent per mile driving cost, 250± miles per electric charge
with a very short charge time--while you sleep at home and not
standing at a gas pump being poisoned by whatever fuel of your
preference.  I for one do not want to remain tethered to Exxon's
umbilical cord, however ultra-green they paint their new fuels.

Tesla Motors is planning a more affordable car for the rest of us
which is predicted to start production in 2 years, after they make
millions(?) off their $100,000 Roadster which has already sold out
for 2007 and is already accumulating orders for 2008.

The electric car is not dead yet (whether Detroit likes it or not)
and, indeed, is likely to be the big winner when more of us opt for
PV panels on the roof so we can drive our e-cars for pennies and
enjoy free electricity from PG&E (whether *they* like it or not).
With the new batteries we will see even greater mileage per charge.

BTW, the Tesla website has a link to their newsletter list for a
*very* savvy discussion of issues; check it out!
Andrea