[Sosfbay-discuss] After Oil: Transition to a Clean Energy Economy

Jean Comfort jean_comfort at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 22:34:28 PST 2006

FYI------ speaker at NASA Ames on January 24

Title:
After Oil: Transition to a Clean Energy Economy

Presenter:
Daniel M. Kammen, Professor, University of California Berkeley

Date and Time:
January 24, 2006 at 2:00 p.m.

Location:
NASA Ames Research Center
Bldg. 943 (outside of main gate on Moffett Blvd.)

Cost:
Free

Talk description:
Professor Kammen will explore the evolution of the United States'
fossil fuel economy to identify the times and opportunities where
there have been significant levels of innovation and change.  He will
also look at current technology policies, as well as what may come in
the future to initiate and develop a low-carbon economy.  This talk
will cover scientific, technical, and policy aspects of our evolving
energy system, and will make the case that 'tipping points' and
opportunities for change are plentiful, should we choose to take
action.

Bio:
Daniel M. Kammen is a Professor at University of California Berkeley,
specifically in the Energy and Resources Group, the Goldman School of
Public Policy and the Department of Nuclear Engineering.  He is also
the founding Director of the Renewable and Appropriate Energy
Laboratory, and the co-Director of the Berkeley Institute of the
Environment.  His work spans the science and engineering of renewable
energy systems, risk analysis, and energy policy.  His publications and
current projects can be found online at:
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~kammen, and
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~rael

Registration:
http://environment.arc.nasa.gov/pub_events.php