[Sosfbay-discuss] MH Times

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Jul 25 10:07:07 PDT 2006

I have talked to some of the people in my sub-division (Holiday Lakes in
Morgan Hill), about 500 homes, about the PLAN initiative.
There are a number who view increased controls, such as OpenSpace 2006 /
PLAN initiative as being an increased level of regulation and actually,
a "takings" from their property value.  This property rights issue is
increasing in it's focus.  The Feature story
<http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=16409> in High
Country News this week is dedicated to the issue. They cast is as a
libertarian question, but in California, there is a strong presence of
property rights organizations.  Thie is what got Richard Pombo elected
the first time.

High Country News also has commentary by Rebecca Clarren
<http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=15139> on the Oregon
initiative (passed in Nov. 2004). " Nearly 60 percent of Oregon voters
across rural and urban areas passed a ballot initiative that requires
state and local governments to either compensate landowners when
environmental or planning laws harm property values, or else to waive
the regulations."

I wrote a commentary that ran in today's Morgan Hill Times on
environmental regulation and property rights. Here is is.

__
rankly, I am getting tired of the political rhetoric that continues to
define conflicts over environmental regulation as a property rights
issue. That is a sham foisted on us by those who think it their
God-given right to make the maximum amount of money at our expense and
the politicians, like Richard Pombo, who find this a convenient rallying
cry.

Who would not be for property rights? It is part of the fabled American
Dream. Owning your own place is a part of that which brought people to
America. It was the lure that pulled the earliest settlers west, first
to Kentucky and Ohio, then across the Mississippi and then clear to the
Pacific. It is that same lure which has created suburbia, freeways, smog
and a myriad other associated problems.

American individualism fuels the idea that what one does on and with
their property is their own business. Just think of the farmer who took
barbed wire and fenced the land, denying the cattleman the range to run
their cattle. How many movies have been made of that theme. Or the hard
working widow, just trying to make ends meet. Come back, Shane. This is
deeply ingrained in our mythology.

Of course, the property rights issues are correct up to a point. The
problem is that too many things that we do on or with our own property
don't stay there. They affect our neighbors as I did when I put some
too-green wood in my fire ring. The smoke that came up blew into my
neighbors house and he came over to ask me to shut it down. It was a
problem of real concern because their son has asthma. Smoke knows no
man-defined boundaries.

Such is the way with many of the problems that we have tried to solve
with environmental regulation. They arise out of the fact that what one
does on or with a piece of property does not stay there. Neither air nor
water nor most species other than man know anything about these property
boundaries we have set in courts of law.

There are many property rights advocates who even seek justification in
biblical tradition. To those people I would only quote "whatsoever ye
have done unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me."
It is too easy to think of the "least of these" as some poor people
living off in Africa or the Amazon. In truth, they live next door. They
are our neighbors. If we were all intent on being good neighbors rather
than being focused on maintaining our property values, maybe we could
accomplish both.

Given that there are too many who are not willing to be good neighbors,
to think of the "least of these" in such broad terms, then the vast
majority of Americans believe that there is a role for government to
mandate good behavior. We all agree with laws concerning theft. Why then
do we not agree with laws that say "thou shalt not contaminate thy
neighbors well."

Of course environmental policy is messy. Regulations are not as neat as
the four sides of a quarter-acre lot. Often we do not know precisely
what is the underlying cause of everything nor do we know what the
ultimate outcome of remedial actions might be. However, that should not
stop us from acting according to the best scientific information
available. To do otherwise is to value ideology over fact, a decision
that will often cause our grandchildren to ask "What were they thinking of?"

The major issue ecological issue facing us now is that of global
warming. Al Gore called in an "Inconvenient Truth." Every day it seems
that we read of something additional which is attributed to global
warming. Just this week, I am watching the smoke from the Del Puerto
Canyon fire. It is a very large fire burning mostly on private property.
I studied this week the reports linking the size and frequency of major
fires in the west to global warming and the climatic changes that it is
bringing.

Most of the acreage consumed by this fire is private property, whose
owners have rights. Do they have the right to expect that the rest of us
will have taken steps to lessen greenhouse gas emissions? They are the
ones whose buildings were destroyed and whose livestock, if they
survived, no longer have range grass to feed on. These are not tenuous,
maybe, maybe not, connections. The facts are real. It is not enough just
to think of this fire as yet another accidental disaster. There are
things that we can do to lessen the impact and, were we good neighbors,
we would. We all contribute to global warming. Maybe it is time we
accept the fact that good neighbors do not let their neighbor's place burn.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024