[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: ELECTION: Candidates Supporting BAREC, Quality Not Quantity]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 08:41:27 PDT 2006

FYI,

Gerry

--- Kathryn Mathewson <kmathewson at secretgardens.com> wrote:

 > From: "Kathryn Mathewson" <kmathewson at secretgardens.com>
 > To: <info at savebarec.org>
 > Subject: ELECTION: Candidates Supporting BAREC, Quality Not Quantity
 > Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:24:01 -0700
 >Dear Friends of BAREC:

With the election this Tuesday, June 6th, (D Day) I thought you should
know that there are only a
few candidates running for office who have publicly supported saving
BAREC.  Following are their
names:

Dave Cortese for San Jose Mayor
Ken Yeager for County Supervisor (District 4)...note that Mayor Mahan
has not been supportive and
is running against Yeager
Joe Padnit for Director of Santa Clara Valley Water District (District 4)

These candidates are not taking money from developers and lobbyists and
are ethical and honest.
They believe in a balanced community which thinks about schools and
children, urban open space
where people live not just in the hills, historical preservation,
environmental health issues, more diversity of businesses especially
small businesses, and quality
over quantity.  They see that infill housing everywhere in the heart of
Santa Clara Valley brings
more and more commuters from richer northern bay area cites and this
makes us poorer.  "Housing is
a dead bang looser for income" (Terry Trumbell, Environmental Law
Professor).

This is currently far removed from what is happening with our local
governments.  Having a few of
these kinds of people in leadership roles will make all our lives better
and will help to ensure
that BAREC is saved.  Maybe such a positive outcome will lead to
attracting more balanced
independent leaders to our local politics.  The BAREC issues are clearly
helping to bring such
thinking to the surface.

Kathryn Mathewson
408-292-9595