[Sosfbay-discuss] San Jose - Whatever Happened to "Think Globally, Work Locally" ?

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 08:09:25 PDT 2006

Whatever happened to that great progressive slogan:

 THINK GLOBALLY, WORK LOCALLY

  As I write this the City of San Jose, third largest city in
California, 10th largest in the nation, and the so-called Capital of
Silicon Valley is in a major political crisis. San Jose Mayor Ron
Gonzales has been indicted on six counts of corruption right in the
middle of a very hotly contested election.

And yet...

I want to know what Greens think about what is happening here. To date
I have not seen or heard a single comment by any of my Northern
California Green Party comrades. Instead, I read e-mails about tedious
plenary minutiae and, frankly, meaningless resolutions to impeach
President Bush.

My personal feelings about this matter with Mayor Gonzales are similar
to my feelings about the Clinton impeachment in 1998. Gonzales is a
sleaze. But so are his enemies. And his enemies are my enemies.
Gonzales is yet another example of one of these pain-in-the-ass "New
Democrats" who likes to butter up the perpetually discontented
"business community." He is a "Good Latino" with a Spanish surname who
doesn't speak Spanish and is appropriately deferential to "Ruling
Class" and the "Master Race." So, now the San Jose City Council -- all
Democrats -- are making a big show of demanding the resignation of the
"New Democrat" mayor over a deal wich they, in fact, approved.

The San Jose story (like the Oakland story and the San Francisco story
and the Los Angeles story), is just another example of exactly how and
why the 2 corporate parties are leading this nation to perdition.

 * * *

Last night I attended a presentation at Black Oak Books in Berkeley
featuring Cindy Sheehan, Paul Rockwell, and Aimee Allison. They are
co-authors of a new book titled "Ten Excellent Reasons Not to Join the
Military." Cindy Sheehan made the important point that electing
Democrats to Congress or even electing a Democratic president in 2008
will make no difference unless we challenge the ideology that makes
"Bushism" possible.

That was a nice segue for Aimee Allison to crow about how "that's why I
am a member of the Green Party."

Aimee Allison is a candidate for the Oakland City Council. Out of a
large field she has made it into the runoff election for this fall. She
may win.

Think Globally, Work Locally.

Alex Walker