[Sosfbay-discuss] San Jose - Whatever Happened to "Think Globally, Work Locally" ?

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Thu Jun 29 15:31:15 PDT 2006

alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

>Whatever happened to that great progressive slogan:
>
> THINK GLOBALLY, WORK LOCALLY
>
>  As I write this the City of San Jose, third largest city in
>California, 10th largest in the nation, and the so-called Capital of
>Silicon Valley is in a major political crisis. San Jose Mayor Ron
>Gonzales has been indicted on six counts of corruption right in the
>middle of a very hotly contested election.
>
>And yet...
>
>I want to know what Greens think about what is happening here. To date
>I have not seen or heard a single comment by any of my Northern
>California Green Party comrades. Instead, I read e-mails about tedious
>plenary minutiae and, frankly, meaningless resolutions to impeach
>President Bush.
>
>My personal feelings about this matter with Mayor Gonzales are similar
>to my feelings about the Clinton impeachment in 1998. Gonzales is a
>sleaze. But so are his enemies. And his enemies are my enemies.
>Gonzales is yet another example of one of these pain-in-the-ass "New
>Democrats" who likes to butter up the perpetually discontented
>"business community." He is a "Good Latino" with a Spanish surname who
>doesn't speak Spanish and is appropriately deferential to "Ruling
>Class" and the "Master Race." So, now the San Jose City Council -- all
>Democrats -- are making a big show of demanding the resignation of the
>"New Democrat" mayor over a deal wich they, in fact, approved.

I've talked to Mayor Gonzales once in my entire life. I got about
two thirds of the way through my little speech and the guy
ripped my sticker out of my hands and said "that's why I live
downtown." Then he turned away, and has ignored me ever
since. I just can't get excited about defending the guy. He's
too rude for my taste.

>The San Jose story (like the Oakland story and the San Francisco story
>and the Los Angeles story), is just another example of exactly how and
>why the 2 corporate parties are leading this nation to perdition.

I agree, but on the ground working the crowd in San Jose is
a pleasure to me. I push enough stickers to pay for the light
rail ticket home often enough. That's my idea of working locally.

> * * *
>
>Last night I attended a presentation at Black Oak Books in Berkeley
>featuring Cindy Sheehan, Paul Rockwell, and Aimee Allison. They are
>co-authors of a new book titled "Ten Excellent Reasons Not to Join the
>Military." Cindy Sheehan made the important point that electing
>Democrats to Congress or even electing a Democratic president in 2008
>will make no difference unless we challenge the ideology that makes
>"Bushism" possible.
>
>That was a nice segue for Aimee Allison to crow about how "that's why I
>am a member of the Green Party."
>
>Aimee Allison is a candidate for the Oakland City Council. Out of a
>large field she has made it into the runoff election for this fall. She
>may win.

I expect I'll be walking at least a precinct or two for her this fall...

>Think Globally, Work Locally.

Amen brother!

--
Tian