[Sosfbay-discuss] Mercury News gets something right

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sun Mar 12 09:18:43 PST 2006

I often make fun of the "Murky News".

The following editorial today is one on which I support their effort
100%.  Given the history of the City Government in San Jose, this is
long overdue.  Whether Ron Gonzales or Tom  McEnery, City Hall in San
Jose has long been the hallway of back room deals.

This is local, this is important and I would like to see the Santa Clara
County GP issue a local press release supporting the Mercur News on this
issue.

Wes

__

  A note from the executive editor

    SAN JOSE IS ENTITLED TO OPEN GOVERNMENT

Dear Reader,

A rotunda made of glass rises from a public plaza in the heart of
downtown, the centerpiece of San Jose's striking $382 million City Hall
and the symbolic seat of government for the nation's 10th-largest city.

``It reflects a contemporary vision of government being transparent and
open to view,'' Rob Steinberg, the local architect involved in the
project, said just before its completion last fall. The dome, he said,
is ``welcoming everybody to see the people's business.''

But too often these days, the ``people's business'' at City Hall is
obscured by secrecy. The noble intentions of the dome are clouded by an
arrogant disregard for public participation.

Little or late notice about important decisions limits public debate. A
clear preference to withhold, rather than release, public documents
hinders the free flow of information. Deals cut in private are presented
to a surprised public left holding the bills.

We've seen all this, and more, in the past several years from elected
officials who talk about transparency in government but usually operate
in a way that guarantees the opposite result.

Enough. San Jose needs a sunshine law -- the kind of strong, open
government ordinance that cities across the state, including San
Francisco and Oakland, use to ensure that the public's business takes
place in full view.

This week, you may hear a lot about open government and freedom of
information. Editors across the country will be writing about ``Sunshine
Week'' -- an annual effort of the American Society of Newspaper Editors
to make sure the public understands the importance of keeping the
public's business in the open.

Clearly, editors have a lot at stake in this battle: Access to
information is the bread and butter of our newspapers and Web sites.

Without the Public Records Act, the Mercury News never could have
revealed the real story behind the cost overruns at the new City Hall.
Without the Brown Act, which mandates open meetings, council members
could line up a majority of votes in secret -- which got the city
council into trouble recently when it attempted to take over the
Tropicana Shopping Center. We have fought in court, not always
successfully, for information that you should know: public employees'
salaries, the criminal history of a priest who molested a disabled man
and witness accounts of ticket-fixing by a local judge, among other battles.

And while we'd sure like to spend less on legal bills arguing for
information that clearly is or should be public, the need for a sunshine
law in San Jose ultimately isn't about us.

It's about you.

You are entitled to public information.

That's why this effort to push for greater access is being supported by
the League of Women Voters of San Jose/Santa Clara and several area
neighborhood associations concerned about open government. It's also
backed by the San Jose Business Journal and Silicon Valley Community
Newspapers.

*San Jose at the helm*

We hope the move to greater transparency is embraced by all of our
communities in Silicon Valley. And we expect that San Jose -- as the
largest city in Northern California -- can blaze the trail for others.

Here's just one example of why a sunshine law is needed. In January, the
operators of San Jose's Grand Prix got a $4 million subsidy in taxpayer
money to keep the downtown race afloat for the next two years.

It doesn't matter whether you hated the race or thought it was a lively
event that brought more than 150,000 people downtown. Even the amount of
the subsidy isn't the issue.

The issue is that although the mayor knew in November that a new
infusion of the public's cash had been requested, the public wasn't told
the details until 24 hours before the city council took a final vote on
the matter. There were no meetings held ahead of time, allowing
residents to engage in a meaningful debate about how their money was
being spent. That's not transparent government. That's doing business
behind closed doors -- no matter how much natural light comes into that
dramatic new City Hall.

What's interesting is that if the same issue had come up in San
Francisco, Oakland or even in Milpitas, residents would have learned
about the subsidy in time to react to it. In Oakland, they would have
had 10 days' notice in advance of the meeting; in Milpitas, eight days;
in San Francisco, three. Why the difference? Those cities have sunshine
laws.

Unfortunately, the handling of the race subsidy is not an anomaly in San
Jose.

There was the $80 million proposal San Jose officials made to Major
League Soccer in an attempt to attract a new team to replace the
departed Earthquakes -- all before the issue ever came to a public
council vote, let alone a full public airing. . . . And let's not forget
the downtown land designated for housing -- property that, in secret
talks, really was being considered for a baseball stadium. . . . And the
Norcal garbage scandal -- another backroom deal that cost the city
$11.25 million. . . . And the $45 million surprise involving the cost of
furniture for the new City Hall.

Sunshine laws help prevent that kind of secrecy by closing loopholes in
the state's Public Records Act and Brown Act, creating stricter
provisions for notifying residents of meetings and more explicit
criteria for what information must be released and when.

Given the demonstrated penchant for secrecy here, we need to get beyond
talking about open government. We need to start doing something about it.

*Guiding principles*

A San Jose sunshine law could be based on four principles that are
proven to work well in cities nationwide:

• The public's business should take place in public -- including
meetings of the council, advisory committees, boards and commissions, as
well as meetings of the Redevelopment Agency.

• Members of the public should have a meaningful opportunity to
participate in decisions that affect them and to understand how those
decisions are made.

• Government records are presumed public, unless specifically exempted
to protect vital interests.

• Members of the public should not need a lawyer, or repeated trips to
City Hall, to gain access to records.

Those are the general elements of a sunshine law. For those of you who
want to dive into the specifics of what we think a model sunshine law
looks like, we invite you to read an ordinance that we have drafted at
*www.* *mercurynews.com*.

Yes, we'll acknowledge up front that it's a bit unusual for a newspaper
to get into the law-drafting business. And we know other sunshine
ordinances have been proposed by council members.

But as an organization that spends hundreds of thousands of dollars each
year fighting to bring information into the public realm, we have a lot
of familiarity with what's common practice across the Bay Area and in
California -- and where San Jose comes up woefully short.

We offer this draft sunshine law as a way to start the conversation
about how our government can better serve the people.

We'd like your feedback, and to know about your experiences. What
information do you think should be public? Where have you run into
roadblocks? Is City Hall telling you what you need to know about
decisions that affect you? Let us know what you think at
sunshine at mercurynews.com <mailto:sunshine at mercurynews.com>.

The time for truly open government in San Jose is long overdue. Let's
make the transparency symbolized by the 1,032 panes of glass of the
rotunda a reality in how San Jose conducts the public's business.

Thank you for reading.

Susan Goldberg

Executive Editor

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/
Tel: 408.778.3024