[Sosfbay-discuss] Walking the Talk

Tian Harter tnharter at greens.org
Mon Mar 13 21:59:56 PST 2006

Wes Rolley wrote:

>Here is an interesting though, driven by the article I mentioned:
>
>In June of 2005, at the US Conference of Mayors, the following Mayors
>signed the U.S. Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement:
>
>Dennis Kennedy - Morgan Hill
>Jim Burch - Palo Alto
>Ron Gonzales - San Jose
>Dean J.Chu - Sunnyvale
>
>Why don't we all go back to these Mayors and ask them for the specifics
>of what they have done to implement that agreement?  I will start with
>Kennedy, my home town.  Anyone else game for this? We should get the
>newest McClatchey Newspaper (Mercury News) to do a follow up.

Palo Alto is doing quite a bit. There is A LOT of public art in the
city that encourages personal responsibility. The biggest zip code
of contributors to Acterra is in Palo Alto, and is also the biggest
zip code on our Green Party list. Jim Burch is far from the only
green activist on that City Council. Another one is Peter Drekmeier,
who is spearheading that initiative to protect our open space from
mini mansion sprawl. Forgive me, I'm having trouble distinguishing
the City from its mayor.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org