[Sosfbay-discuss] Open Space Initiative

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Mar 14 08:18:41 PST 2006

I had the following LTE  in the MH Times today.
__
This month, you are being asked to sign a petition for a Land
Conservation Initiative to go on the November Ballot.  This is being
advertised as an "Open Space" initiative, but truthfull it goes far
beyond being only that.
We are being asked to make a fundamental decision about what we value
and how much value we place on the way our communitiy grows, where that
growth takes place and at what pace.  Morgan Hill has for a long time
favored controlling the rate of growth.  The restrictions that this
initiative places on the permitted uses of hillsides, ranchlands and
agricultural areas are designed to ensure that they will not become the
haven for high impact industry that fails to meet City Zoning standards.
We already see that in parts of Coyote Valley and will see it all over
without additional regulation.

One objective of this petition is to "preserve ranchlands and
agriculture."  It may be too late to truly do that.  I have been told by
many agricultural producers in the valley that they are only marginally
profitable, if that.  Even our own County Government demonstrated that
they did not think it worth trying to preserve agricultural land when
they allowed Williamson Act abuse to become the rule rather than a rare
exception.  The initiative is one way of preserving agricultural lands.
They may have to change in terms of what they produce and how they get
their product to market. But having some supply of food close to
metropolitan areas makes sense in an era when the transportation and
handling costs of everything are escalating every year.  This initiative
needs to be coupled with proper use of the Williamson Act.

I am going to sign the petition.  I have complete support for its
objectives.  Even if I did not, I would still sign the petition.  The
debate that will surely arise from this petition is health for the
community.  The decisions we will make are important. Do we truly place
a value on having open space, clean streams, nearby agriculture?  We
need to choose wisely with a view toward what kind of community we leave
our childern.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/
Tel: 408.778.3024