[Sosfbay-discuss] Connections

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Sun May 7 23:05:48 PDT 2006

Wes Rolley wrote:

>I spent a portion of the afternoon phone banking.  Calling people in my
>precinct to talk them into voting for Pete McCloskey rather than Richard
>Pombo.  The really gratifying thing was that so many thanked me for
>taking the time to actually have a conversation to them.  This included
>on self-described "bed rock Conservative" Republican who wants to put a
>big high voltage electric fence on the Mexican Border, and he still said
>"Thank your, I will give McCloskey another look."
>
>Maybe this indicates that there is a lack of personal connection in
>politics.  That we are so attuned to wholesale politics of sound bytes
>and television ads that personal connection means something more.

I was really surprised by how many people I met in 1992 that told
me "You are the only politician I've ever met." People are clearly
more connected around here, but I still have that kind of experience.

After I thought about that kind of thing for a while I started realizing
how many ways people work of of specious reasoning strategies. It
wasn't until I talked to Fred Duperault that I learned a thing or two
about how to work with that. You have to take it for granted people
are going to do what they want to do after they walk away.

Nowadays I'm concerned about it from a totally different point of view.
I want "light a candle" in cyberspace. You can see it at:

http://tian.greens.org/CurrentState.html

The lit state of that candle is strictly a figment of our shared
imagination.
My prayer is that it burns in a nonviolent galaxy.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org