[Sosfbay-discuss] newsletter mailing

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Sat Sep 23 09:44:04 PDT 2006

Save a hundred, or so, for me, Tian.  The coffee shops can use some.
(Yesterday I visited with the editor of the MV VOICE and, during our
conversation, gave him a copy of the newsletter. He showed a lot of
interest. I sensed that he likes you, Tian, and Peter Camejo.)

Regarding the Mtn. View Day Laborers, they each received $12 per hour,
The working conditions were ideal and they need the money to survive.
They weren't exploited.

There are many entities who legally employ immigrants in need that we
all patronize. Could it be that the old cliche' that  states, "They do
the undesirerable work that Americans won't do," is true?

At risk,

Fred

JamBoi wrote:

>Thank you for clarifying that.  It is sobering to hear that we weren't
>able to complete it without hiring help.  It'd be nice if in the future
>we can build ourselves up to be able to handle mailings without needing
>to take this step.  I am happy that some people were directly
>benefitted by our mailing with some employment though. I thank you Fred
>and Lois for contributing this on top of all the other things you
>contributed to make this happen.

The day laborers each put two hours into the project.

When I got home from taking them back to the dayworker center
there was a message on my message machine from someone who
didn't leave a name ragging on "people that would hire North Koreans
for the price of a loaf of bread and steal jobs from Americans."
It's the only message like it I've ever gotten, and it was QUITE a
coincidence.

I felt very unclean after listening to that message. I've never done that
before, and I don't want to do it again. It was easy, convenient, and they
worked hard, but now I'm conflicted. I didn't think of the idea, but I went
along with it because I needed to get the mailing out of my hair and the
phone wasn't ringing enough to make it happen with volunteers. I mean,
volunteers could get it done next week sometime, but there is no chance
that the San Jose Greens would hear about the Oct. 3rd event before it
happened.

On another note, we have a four inch high stack of left over newsletters
to distribute by grass roots means. I don't have the time to do any of
that, I have my own campaign to work on. If they sit here until election day
I will recycle them when it is too late to use them. PLEASE, somebody take
them off my hands.

--
Tian
http://tianharter.org